Front squat - wrist pain.

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
Yesterday I did front squats, repped @ 109 lbs. I am pretty sure I could have done more as far as my lower half goes, but my wrist felt like they were going to break. I have watched a few youtube videos on technique. Keeping my grip closer, elbows high.

I tried cross-arm and didn't really like it. I don't really know why. I think I felt like the bar wasn't stable enough or something.

Any suggestions on changing something up or do I just need to switch to cross-arm?

TIA.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    the brunt of the weight should be carried v by your shoulders. maybe its flexibility.. .
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    the brunt of the weight should be carried v by your shoulders. maybe its flexibility.. .

Wellbert is correct; the weight should be on your shoulders, not your hands.

This might help:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique/
  • 12by311
    Options

Thanks. I was just looking at Mehdi's page (question about wrist pain with back squat) and mentions than so I was just thinking that could be my problem with my front squat.

Yesterday was only second day I've done front squats.
  • 12by311
    Options

Wellbert is correct; the weight should be on your shoulders, not your hands.

This might help:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique/

Thank you! That will help definitely.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can only do cross arm, or if i want to do a fake clean style grip i use wrist straps wrapped around the bar to hold onto instead of the bar.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've noticed wrist pain in my front squats as well, but not as badly because I was doing front squat push presses so I was only at 85 lbs because I can't push more than that above my head! haha. I wouldn't be able to put the weight on my shoulders while I was pushing it up, so I guess for those I would still have the weight in my hands?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I can only do cross arm, or if i want to do a fake clean style grip i use wrist straps wrapped around the bar to hold onto instead of the bar.

cross arms here as well.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    just work on your wrist flexibility. it takes time and practice. keep at it though. you can lift a lot more doing it that way than with crossed arms.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    I've noticed wrist pain in my front squats as well, but not as badly because I was doing front squat push presses so I was only at 85 lbs because I can't push more than that above my head! haha. I wouldn't be able to put the weight on my shoulders while I was pushing it up, so I guess for those I would still have the weight in my hands?

Are you doing them as two separate moves with a pause, or as one "thruster" type of move? In the former case, you should have time to regrip as needed. The latter is a bit more technical, as you are trying to get sufficient speed to drive the bar higher and you transition your grip while it is in motion. Looks similar, but it's a different move. :)
  • 12by311
    Options
    just work on your wrist flexibility. it takes time and practice. keep at it though. you can lift a lot more doing it that way than with crossed arms.

That's what I found yesterday. When I did a couple cross arm with the same weight, I was like, "uh, this is not working..."