Quinoa!!

Options
shoniej
shoniej Posts: 227 Member
Looking for some easy quinoa dishes! Anyone have a favorite they would like to share? I made a Quinoa Tuna Salad for my lunches this week! First time I've ever had quinoa and I am loving it!! Bring on the quinoa ;)

Replies

• GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We eat it plain -- as rice at dinner, usually ... but I've grabbed leftovers for breakfast, too!
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I throw some broccoli in mine and a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese and a scoop of fat free ricotta. YUMMM!!
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump. Bought some this week, have yet to make it- need ideas!
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Make it into pancakes and keep them in the fridge - great for grabbing on the go or when you just want something a little sweet - http://thefinerslice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/quinoa-pancakes.html
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Use it as you would cous cous or rice, cook flavoured with herbs, spices & stock.

Mexican quinoa- cooked quinoa mixed with salsa, beans, chilli flakes, coriander (cilantro), lime juice.

Quinoa 'risotto'- cook quinoa with slightly more stock than usual to get a risotto consistency. Add some cream cheese & parmesan and your favourite risotto filling combination (ie: mushroom & thyme, butternut & sage, asparagus pea & mint, blue cheese & spinach, chicken & chorizo, roasted pepper & bacon etc...)

It can also be added to soups/stews to thicken & add texture.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!, we add it to eggplant and celery and zucchini stir frys,,,
  • krisjnic
    krisjnic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Find any tabouli recipe online (there are a ton) and use quinoa instead of bulgar wheat. I need to eat gluten free so use quinoa in any recipe that calls for bulgar or couscous. I think it's better than either!
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas!! I think my husband will even be willing to eat the Spanish Quinoa!! Can't wait to try them :)
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I saute onion, mushrooms then add stock and cook the Quinoa in it. Love!!!! :)
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    LOVE Quinoa! I make it in a rice cooker - equal amounts water to quinoa. I always add cut up veggies - oninon, carrots, broccoli, zuchini, whatever I have and they all cook together. I like to add flavorings like low sodium bullion or herbs, and it comes out like a rice pilaf. Spray a little butter spray on it - YUMMY!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas!! I think my husband will even be willing to eat the Spanish Quinoa!! Can't wait to try them :)

I'm glad! My husband loves it too! We made it with fish tacos!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I like to make a quinoa bowl. I make some quinoa, then sauté (I don’t know if that’s the technical term) some portabella mushrooms and onions in a little olive oil (put the onions in first for a couple minutes, then the mushrooms) and then throw some spices in there and a dash of vinegar and toss on low heat. I then put some quinoa on the bottom of the bowl, put some fresh cold greens on top of that, then top it with the mushrooms and onions. It’s good just like that, or I make a aioli (also, not sure if that’s the technical term) by putting some mayo (low fat or veganaise works well too) in a food processer with some lemon juice and fresh basil leaves and whip that up and top it off. You can adjust all the amounts to fit your calorie needs.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh and it's also good with a little curry powder and chopped carrots and peas.
  • WendiMac2Be
    WendiMac2Be Posts: 15 Member
    Options

MMM! That sound delicious! I'll have to try that this weekend.
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried this pumpkin breakfast quinoa last week and it was great. I cut back on the sugar a bit, but it still tasted fantastic.

http://eat-drink-love.com/2011/11/pumpkin-breakfast-quinoa/
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I just had if for the first time a few weeks ago.. It was delish... but a little too expensive for me to make real often...

I put it under Mediteranian Chicken and Chickpeas It was delish!

To make a serving for 4, boil a cup of Quinoa in chicken broth.

While that is cooking, chop a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts into small pieces, add to a skillet with a little Evoo. Add a ton of Mrs Dash and sodium free greek seasoning to the chicken, after fully cooked add a can of drained chickpeas, a large splash of lemon juice and about 2 oz of goat cheese... cook until chickpeas are warm and goat cheese is melted. Top over Quinoa... Delish!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hands down the best recipe ever! I eat this almost daily.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Summer-Fresh-Quinoa-Salad
  • lisawants2bskinny
    lisawants2bskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My son and I tried Quinoa for the first time last night. We love it!!

I put yellow pepper, cucumber and grape tomatoes. For dressing I put a little Olive Oil and Apple Cider vinegar. Fresh Parsley and a little Garlic Powder.

It's very refreshing!! And filling!!