I don't think weight has anything to do with attractiveness

Options
ramgi
ramgi Posts: 196 Member
Hi,

I know some of you are just starting out on your fitness journeys. I just want you to know that you are loveable just the way you are. Do this weight loss thing for you and your health. It's not about what others think of you that matters. It's what you think of yourself. So many people think if they lose weight they'll be prettier or more likable. If someone doesn't like you big than maybe their too superficial to be friends with anyway. You are beautifully and wonderfully made. Love yourself and realize that you deserve to be fit and healthy. It's not about the outside so much but it's about getting to your happy place. That starts from within. All the best to each and every one of you!

Ramgi (The female Rambo)

Replies

• JPZ98
    JPZ98 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those kind words of encouragement!
  • paulipet
    paulipet Posts: 70
    Options
    Yes- thank you. I pay way too much attention to what other people think/might think.
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    YES!! Thank you so much for this.. This is what i needed to make my day even better... Much Love to you
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! YOU ROCK!
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my partner met me slim.... still loves me now I'm fat
    I am losing the weight for me

but I still look at my reflection and cringe
  • ohtobequeen
    Options
    You are so right! What a great thing to read first thing in the morning. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    love it! embrace your flaws folks. if you don't like yourself now, how will you like yourself when you're thin?

puking-rainbows.jpg
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    Thanks...a warm glo....it feels nice.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know some of you are just starting out on your fitness journeys. I just want you to know that you are loveable just the way you are. Do this weight loss thing for you and your health. It's not about what others think of you that matters. It's what you think of yourself. So many people think if they lose weight they'll be prettier or more likable. If someone doesn't like you big than maybe their too superficial to be friends with anyway. You are beautifully and wonderfully made. Love yourself and realize that you deserve to be fit and healthy. It's not about the outside so much but it's about getting to your happy place. That starts from within. All the best to each and every one of you!

Ramgi (The female Rambo)

WORD!!!

I lost 50 lbs and I get *so much more male attention* now. But you know what? I am in love with the guy who hit on me 50 lbs ago. I know he won't dump me if i put weight back on. I know he likes me for more than just my figure.

Fitness does bring more attention, but I agree that that's not what it's all about. I feel like a ninja with all the things i can do with my body now. Rock climbing and aerialist stuff. Even chin ups make me feel like a superhero. It's silly I suppose, but that's what I love most about all of this.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    thank you very much!
  • mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is so sweet!
  • oprettinikki
    Options
    Thank you for the words, I needed to hear it!!
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some wise words there. Never do something for someone else do it for yourself.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ramgi (The female Rambo)

Inner beauty doesn't make initial attraction......just saying. I agree with what you said.....but weight definitely has something to do with attractiveness.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I agree, you shouldn't be loved or treated any different for your weight.
    But as much as I told myself I was happy at 245, I wasn't.... now that I am of a normal size my self confidence and self esteem is off the chart. The internal transformation that comes with weight loss is very worth it. But you are right, it was for me, not anybody else :)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are right on girl!
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What a kind, inspiring and wonderful post! Thank you for this!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For the sake of discussion, though is it wrong or unfair to admit that in our society weight is one measure of physical attractiveness and that it plays a role? Having been nearly 400 pounds and still 278 pounds on the way down, I will tell you that the physical attributes of morbid obesity to influence other people's opinions of you. To say one should simply "ignore" those opinions is a lofty ambition but not realistic.

Having said that, I wish we all could retrain our society to view obesity not in terms of worth or attractiveness, but rather in terms of quality of life. I wish that instead of desiring to be a size X because society will look upon your more favorably, we could desire to be a BMI of X indicating health and fitness.

Just my 2 cents.
  • cso619
    cso619 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm new to this and I'm looking for the fellas going through this journey as well. My wife and all her MFP friends are putting me to shame, but I need some help lol!