ACCURATE SCALES

Options
2»

Replies

• jhawkgirl91
    jhawkgirl91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just bought an ARIA scale and I am participating in a weight loss study at a university. This morning I had a weigh in at the university's scale and it was 4 pounds less than the ARIA scale. Basically, I weighed myself at home with no clothes, drove to the university to weigh in for the study and the scale at the university was 4 pounds less than the ARIA. How do I callibrate the scale? I have been looking all over the internet for this info. Any advice? And thanks!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Im having no luck, myself.

My analog scales say I'm 107lbs, but then when I step off of them the dial isn't zero'd properly. So I can't rely on them.

And my brand new digital scales say I'm anything from 110-123lbs depending on where it is on the floor!

I forgot to weigh in at the Doctors and my Local Sport centre currently doesn't have a scale so I honestly have no clue what my true weight is. Frustrating.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    well..I THOUGHT a new battery fixed mine but I just put on 13lbs of dumb bells and it reads 3 lbs?????????

Digital scales can't read anything accurately below a certain weight (around 50lbs), check your manual. I know mine says in the manual it can't give accurate readings from anything under 45lbs.

Both my digital ones measure my children correctly and they are only 31 and 40 pounds. So it must be under 10 pounds.

Btw, I have three scales. An old analog scale which is always about 3-5 pounds less than the digitals. And then a health o meter, which is pretty accurate. And I just got the eatsmart one from amazon, it has great reviews. It is pretty close to the other digital less than half a pound difference.

And I just noticed this was a thread from 2012, that was resurrected. Oops.
  • ManyPounds2Lose
    ManyPounds2Lose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you mind listing the model that you have?? Doing some research for an accurate scale and there are so many per manufacturer.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Another thing to watch on digital scales in the temperature of the room and floor you are weighting yourself on..
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/#inaccuracyofdigitalscales

Go about half way down...ify our room/fllor is cold it can show a couple of pounds difference...to the bad!

I had this twice recently. right away i didnt see the result i had hoped. I waited 30 minutes, room and floor warmed up, and got a more accurate and what I had expecte.e
  • edstreiff
    edstreiff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a Health-O-Meter digital scale and it was horribly inconsistent. I got this one last week and it's awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have this same scale at home, its accurate but you do have to remain still and it needs to be placed on a hard flat surface.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thing I dont like about Aria is the body fat% can be off by 2-3%.
    How does a scale calculate body fat? I've been wondering this for a while.

OP, if your floor is not level any scale will vary your weight depending on your feet position and your balance.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Thing I dont like about Aria is the body fat% can be off by 2-3%.
    How does a scale calculate body fat? I've been wondering this for a while.

OP, if your floor is not level any scale will vary your weight depending on your feet position and your balance.

Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis