What do you do for exercise when you have sore muscles?

Options
I have really sore muscles, particularly in the thighs and buttocks area. eeek!
I want to exercise but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what exercises I could do to overcome this horrible muscle pain.?

Replies

• clairekeogh42
    clairekeogh42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good for sore muscles and a good workout.....
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You've got to walk it off, or run it off.. or even elliptical it off.. Get those muscles moving and the blood flowing to those areas to aid in healing and loosening back up.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i get back up on that horse and tell myself to stop being a lil princess and get the work done.

once you start moving DOMS subsides a great deal.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. I would swim, but I can't really afford a gym membership and the high school pool is a 20+ minute drive for me (one way). I also try to do stairs... it hurts but feels better after. Oh! And take a nice, warm bath.
  • SwtMelissa86
    SwtMelissa86 Posts: 165
    Options
    Exercise more... thats the only thing that helps me...
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Squats :)
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    stretch and exercise some more!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Right back at it..... although I might not go at it quite as intensly at first. Be sure you are stretching before and after you exercise and you should be able to eliminate this issue all together.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep going! On days when you're resting, do some light cardio, like on the elliptical. Also--and it will be painful--some deep stretching will work WONDERS for your muscles soreness. 10-15 minutes of stretching once or twice a day will help your muscles recover much faster. It's all about getting blood into your muscles so that they can repair themselves faster.

If you keep working out, the muscle soreness WILL improve. Drink lots of water and keep those muscles hydrated and you'll feel better soon!
  • lloydenson
    lloydenson Posts: 12
    Options
    you need to stop the muscles from tensing up. just keep exercising but take it easy for a few days, a long walk or swimming would be good or anything that is low impact.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Walk, swim, stretch.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Low impact and gentle, like cycling or swimming. Helps the muscles recover. And then make sure to stretch after- foam roll too if you have access.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    REST!
    Rest is just as important as exercise for optimal health and fitness.
    It may mean you have to eat less that day.
    Suck it up:glasses:
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Exercise more... thats the only thing that helps me...
    ^^^ This, get back to it, it eventuallys wears off
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Walk.
  • 4boysandme
    4boysandme Posts: 12
    Options
    Run (or walk), after a few minutes your muscles will warm up and start feeling better.
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep exercising .... using precaution of course. Soreness not pain. And a monthly massage feels great.:smile:
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Walk it off and stretch it out. Then a warm shower. Not too hot because thats bad for circulation. But there is nothing I've found simpler or more effective.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Squats :)

THIS!

Work out again. It sounds a little counter productive but the more you work them, the less they will hurt.

UNLESS it feels like injury pain and not that you worked out hard. That would require rest.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Do you have netflix? On instant there is a movie called yoga for aches and pains. It's an awesome work out. Low impact. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's great for stretching and toning!