how much are you burning through exercse?

virginiakatie
virginiakatie Posts: 35
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
on average how many calories are you buning a day through exercise?
is there a recomended amount?

I have been walk/jogging 2 miles a day, 4 days a week. The other 3 day I might walk or just rest and do some mild strength training. I have approximated that I'm burning about 300 or so calories in the 25-30 minutes I spend walking/jogging.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I try to burn 250-500/day, 5 days/week depending on the type of workout on that day.

You are buring that much walking/jogging? I run at a 7.5 min mile for 3.5 miles (30 min) and only burn 385-400.
  • thats what mfp says when I plug it in, not sure how they com up w/that though
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    thats what mfp says when I plug it in, not sure how they com up w/that though
    It could be right, but it's just an average/estimate. The only way to really know a closer estimate for you personally is to get a HRM.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Depending on your size and fitness level (which will affect overall calories), I usually recommend a minimum of 300-500 calories per exercise day, 1500-2500 per week.

As a quick reference:

Walking at 3.0 mph (20 min mi) burns about .05 calories per kg of body wt per min (.05 Kcal/kg/min).

Walking at 4.0 mph (15 min mi) burns about .067 calories/kg/min

Jogging at 5.0 mph (12 min mile) burns about .14 calories/kg/min

Jogging at 6.0 mph (10 min mile) burns about .17 calories/kg/min
This discussion has been closed.