Puppy advice, please!!

Options
124»

Replies

• julierogers68
    Options
    I also agree with CapsFan17, the monks of new skeete is a GREAT book for any new dog owner. I read that, mother knows best and, sadly, labrador retrievers for dummies. crazy but they were REALLY helpful.
  • AngieWood611
    AngieWood611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do you run after the dog when he grabs your clothes? If so, he probably thinks your playing. Have you worked on a leave it or drop it command with him?

http://www.mypetsmart.com/petcare/articles/how-to-teach-your-dog-to-drop-it

http://www.dogguide.net/drop-it-101.php

Also, i wouldn't crate him as a punishment. The crate is supposed to symbolize comfort and security for a dog.

Hope those links help!
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Haha. mine are jack russells as well. They are a handful. Our newest one is so well behaved unless I leave my underwear or yoga pants (used ) on the floor, then he chews out the best and most important part.
    He taught me to put my stuff directly in the laundry.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have a German Shepherd pup right now and when she grabs something she is not supposed to have I tell her "leave it" and direct her to something she can have. Your dog needs attention and training and you only have to train them for about 5-10 minutes three times a day. Use raw meat (like stew meat or a cheap cut of steak) as it is a high value reward and it will keep the dog interested in the training (and will be cheaper in the long run than replacing books, clothes, furniture, etc..that it tears up if it is not trained) and start with things like sit, lay down, etc...If you get three good commands in a row then you are done with that command. Only work on 1-2 things a week. Always leave the puppy wanting more. After you work with the dog put them in the kennel for 15 minutes to reflect on the training session. Teach the dog that outside is to play and inside is to be calm. I teach my dog "settle" where I calm her and pet her so that she understands what settling down is. I do not play with her in the house as I want her to be calm in the house since she will eventually be 85-90 pounds. When you call the dog always praise it when it comes. Never use an angry voice to call it as it associates the calling it to you with it being in trouble. I know it is hard to do it, but you have to teach it right.
  • bcollins500
    bcollins500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with much that has been said here by many others. Exercise, room/area restrictions, dedicated attenion and training are necessary. Knowing the traits for the breed is extremely important. You are in charge by being firm, use and tone of voice, body/eye language i.e., let the dog know their role and position in the home. My dogs obedience trainer always said he was really training the trainer to take control. The dog will follow your lead if you set it. I wish you much success in your dogs training.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Your dog is bored. Buy a deer antler and give it to him whenever he bites / chews on something he shouldn't. It teaches him that what he is currently chewing is not okay, but this deer antler is.

Also, I'd like to address that you should never ever ever hit your dog. There are plenty of other ways to discipline your pet without laying a hand on it. Secondly, a crate should never be used as a disciplinary tool. Buy a book and do some research. Seems your discipline actions do not work.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Seems your discipline actions do not work.

Clearly. Hence, the thread asking for advice. :flowerforyou:
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Knowing the traits for the breed is extremely important.

Agreed, except the vet can't even figure out what kind of dog this is.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My boy was much like yours as a pup. He would chew on anything and everything and seemed like his energy could go on for days! When he couldn't find a toy or furniture to chew on, he chewed on the wall...THE WALL! Who does that?! LOL I found that the "bitter yuck" spray worked for a little while but then, the little bugger figured out that if he just reached up a little further he didn't taste it anymore! So I had to watch him like a hawk for a few weeks and every time he started even SNIFFING the wall (or whatever he decided to chew on) I just gave him a firm "NO!" and when he walked away, I would give him a treat. He got the hang of it after a while and it hasn't been a problem since.

I would also suggest getting him a kong or other toy that you can put his food or treats in. You know, the toys where he'll have to push it around to get the food to come out? It doesn't sound like much, but that really will make a huge difference. It's the mental stimulation that we sometimes forget to think about but makes SUCH a difference in a dog's behavior. Give it try and just be patient. :smile:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot from Will Ferrel's SNL dog training skit.
    Seriously.

I remember when my puppy was like this. He pulled all my bras out of the laundry hamper, ate them and hid them in his bed, chewed through a bunch of wires, ate part of the bathroom door...
    and all I had to do to make him stop was to tell him I was disappointed in him and shake my head, ignoring him for a few hours.

He's 4 now, and the worst he'll do is get into the little garbage in the waste basket while we're gone (very rare occurrence).
    We won't even have to see any damage (which is very minimal), we just ask "were you a good boy today?" and if he doesn't give you a kiss, and slunks away, he knows he was bad and usually doesn't do anything naughty for months.

ETA: my dad's dog is a different story. He's 6 years old and still a monster. They've tried everything on him, then figured out a few months ago that due to the breed, he should have had a larger dose of his distemperment shot when he was younger. I personally think he just doesn't get enough exercise, and isn't disciplined enough.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a JRT- or at least a mix! I have owned Jacks for the past 14 years. These little guys are a handful- intelligent, highly energetic, and can be very destructive if they don't have enough mental and physical stimulation. 7 miles and still wanting to chase a ball...that sounds about right. Obedience training helps stimulate them mentally, and I have the Nina Ottossen toys (which I'll admit they figure out pretty darn quickly.) Sadly this breed is often given up by their owners because they look like such cute little dogs and in fact they can truly be Jack Russell Terrors! My little female was an owner release- they got her as an 8 week old puppy and had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

A few things, which I know you have heard: never hit a dog. Never say "no" after the fact- they're smart, but they associate a correction with the present state of things: i.e. if there is a mess, they learn that you are angry at them because there is a mess (or large swath of destruction) but they don't associate that with MAKING the mess. If you catch them in the act, "no!" (and even better, an accompanying reward for stopping the destructive behavior) teaches them pretty quickly the difference between acceptable toys and your valued possessions. Oh, and JRTs love to chase and be chased, and running off with something of yours gets them attention AND gets them a chase (and isn't that fun?)

As soon as possible, teach your dog "come." I started by chopping up turkey jerky into tiny pieces and saying the word "come" in a pleasant voice, and treating them every time I said the word (I started with them close to me and just said "Sophie come!" and gave her a treat.) It took no time at all for me to be able to say that from a distance and have her come running! Outside, squirrels, deer, and rabbits will always take precedence, but I'm in control inside the house, at least. So if "come" is strongly and positively reinforced, and your dog knows you refuse to chase him, suddenly running off with your clothes is far less appealing than it once was.

I HIGHLY recommend a book called "When Pigs Fly!- Training Success with Impossible Dogs." I'm pretty sure you can read the intro on Amazon. Also, be sure to read the following: http://www.creativewebdesignsinc.com/russellrescue/baddogtalk.htm. It is on the Russell Rescue web site.

It was 12 years before I felt "ready" to adopt a Jack Russell puppy. My first rescue was 4years old and my second 7 months. The one I adopted at 7months is still afraid of strange men (I'm almost positive that she was "corrected" by a man.) The good thing about the puppy (who is now 2) that I adopted is that by the time I started raising him, I knew enough about the breed and his likely character traits that I could raise him to be a happy, somewhat obedient (if not naturally biddable,) amazing dog. Once you know how to handle the breed, you will fall in love with their energy, intelligence, and quirky character.