Stop being obsesed by the scale!!!

Options
If you are just using the numbers on the scale to determine if you are getting fit, then you aren't getting an accurate report. The scale takes the sum total of water, bones, muscle, fat, etc. A more accurate measuring tool is a body fat calculator. You can drop 20 pounds of water and muscle and it doesn't mean you are getting fit. Losing the wrong type of weight can actually harm you in the long run.

You want to lose fat, not just weight!!!

E

Replies

• Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree! I've hid the scale on myself multiple times...but it's still my crutch. It's hard to kick the habit!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Amen dude, well said.

Personally, I do obsess over my scale more than I should, but I am of the opinion that I don't care really what the weight says, I look at the body fat % it displays for me. As long as that goes down, then I am please!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have had clients in tears when they step on the scale! Especially when you wake up and jump on it. Then take a shower, read it again and it says something else! As long as that body fat % is going down, then we are headed in the right direction. When I meet people who have office pools or weight loss competitions, I always tell them that the scale is not far. I can fast and drop water weight like a high school wrestler if I want temporary good news.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't even own a scale. I think it's for the better so I don't get obsessive and discourage.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Been here almost a month and haven't looked at the scale. So far, my NSV's mean the most to me. I feel stronger, healthier, and I can see myself getting stronger. Losing weight takes a long time, NSVs take moments.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Right, I think it is more about how you feel and look. Are your clothes becoming loose, do you have more energy than you did before? These are better fitness judges than the scale is.

For me I wanted to loose 5 pounds a month no problem shouldn't be to hard, wrong. I dropped 10 pounds the first month pretty average then it took me 6 weeks to loose 5 more pounds, a little to long but ok it's still progress. However now my weight is going back up. My clothes are all getting bigger. I feel happier but the scale is going the wrong way. Also i measured my body fat with one of thos little palm reader gadgets. A month ago at 205 it read 22.1% body fat this month at 208 it read 19.1/% body fat.

I'm loosing the fat but my scale is not reading it so now that thing is a toy for my kids.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for this post. I stepped on the scale this morning and had gained 2 pounds. I was devestated. But... pants that i bought a month ago I wore this past Saturday and they were too big... Even still. I'm old school and would like the scale to show the weight loss. I just have to change the way i'm thinking about weight loss and that blasted scale.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know, I know....I need to throw the scale away... <hangs head in shame and goes to the corner>
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ugh! This is my downfall. My husbands too. Every single day sometimes multiple times a day. I can almost tell you exactly what I will weigh the next morning if I weigh before I go to bed. lol It's just a mental game. I know that number is just that. A number. But I want it to be a little one. lol
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Can we just go back to talking about sammiches?
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TOPIC, I'M A VICTIM MYSELF, I HAVE BEEN BEATING MYSELF UP ABOUT THE SCALE, BUT THE CLOTHES LOOK GREAT, AND PEOPLE ARE GIVING SO MANY COMPLIMENTS! THANKS AGAIN