My before and after

Options
Hello,
My name is Valerie, I'm 28 years old and I live in Ohio. When I was 23 I got married to someone I had high hopes of changing. Needless to say years of frustration and guilt led to a pretty hefty weight gain. I have a small build and I'm only 5'3 so at my heaviest weight of 167 it was a lot to try and hide. I never really felt good about myself, I had battled weight issues from a young age. This picture was taken as one of my engagement photo's. One of the few times I even remember seeing pictures of my whole body and not just head shots. Although it was just one of the shots the photographers camera took as a series when I see it I still think how unhappy I look.

valeriebefore.jpg

Finally three years ago I decided to lose the weight. Why at 25 should I feel so terrible? I would always want those years back as I got older but not if I didn't do something to make ME happy. So I cleaned up my eating, I got a treadmill and I started losing the weight. At first my husband was proud and encouraged me. Then as I started to gain some confidence he would make remarks about my "nazi" diet and overexercising. I think this was about the time I began to have an eating disorder. I don't know what I was thinking, but in my head I thought it would really show him if I got really skinny and had lots of attention. My lowest weight was 107. I got there by taking laxatives, barely eating and burning off all if not more than what I was consuming. My hair started to thin out, my face looked gaunt and my size 2 pants hung off of my body. And guess what? I still wasn't happy.
Finally I stepped back and took a good hard look at my life. I was married to someone who didn't want what was best for me, didn't make me feel the way all women should feel. IMPORTANT!! So I made the decision to ask for a dissolution.
It wasn't easy and didn't make me want to take care of my health at all. Luckily I have an amazing mother and family who would put up with all my craziness to help me get back on track.
I met someone shortly after (sort of re-met), who makes me feel beautiful everyday. Makes everything I do seem like a freaking miracle. He tells me he loves me, goes to the gym with me, cooks with me and makes everyday worth all the trouble.
I don't weigh 107 anymore, in fact I've gained a good 20lbs. But I like who I am now, and I'm happy with my life and I think it shows now in my pictures. I took these pictures as a reward for myself, to show that I'm proud of how far I've come and that if I can do all of that I can do so much more. I look at these with great pride.
Anyone out there who is unhappy in life and with themselves should know that it's up to you to change it. It is possible but it isn't easy. Everyday can be a struggle but it's so worth it.

0519ALBERTIMG_4596.jpg0496ALBERTIMG_4553.jpg
0245ALBERTIMG_4141.jpg

Replies

• SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!! You looking amazing...Congrats on your progress!!! Love the new pics...look so fun and happy!
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great story and I love your pictures.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    oh my

*sits in stunned silence for a bit*

very beautiful, glad you found your "happy place"
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You look awesome I'm totally jealous. I'm so glad you got passed that bad time in your life.
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look great! I'm glad you found your way and someone to walk with you! Keep up the good work.
  • moyan2012
    moyan2012 Posts: 9
    Options
    wow you look amazing.
  • Nosila0815
    Nosila0815 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look great.
  • Bub1971
    Bub1971 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great job especially dealing with the issues cause usually if ya just lose weight and dont deal with the issues. The weight willl almost always return. Keep it up.:smile:
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well done. Absolutely beautiful.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are one hot lady!

I haven't seen your before pictures before, you've done so amazing! Well done! Especially coming back from an eating disorder to be healthy and happy :)
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, quite a journey and awesome results!
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    WOW....
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Congrats on your loss!
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I had the same experience with my ex-husband and ballooned from 135 to 168 (pre-pregnancy weight) and then above 200 when I was preggers. My fiance now is so amazing and we are losing weight together, because he actually cares :)
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nice job, you look great.
  • tabbycat627
    Options
    You are gorgeous beyond belief in your new pictures!
    Your story is very powerful, too, and I know there has to be someone on here that relates so thanks for sharing with all of us :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK, yes...I did look at the pictures first and sat and enjoyed them!!! Then read your story! haha!

I am so happy that you are now happy with yourself and with your man!! Congrats on both!
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    Great job! You look good!:smile:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes. Nice pics. Nice story. Nice pics...

Did I mention the pics were quite nice?

Wow.

--P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!