Current Weight x 10 for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this is an old method ...used by my grandfather when he worked in a psychiatric hospital where he ran a nutrition clinic (verty fat or overly thin patients were refered to him... his results were good(1949-1976)

the method he used was weight x 10 for sedentiary
    weight x13 for active
    weight x15 for very active (used in patients that needed to gain weight...but +250 per half pound needed to gain)

this gave him his basic levels then he knocked off 250 cals per half pound the patient need to lose per week

other tactics he used were patients only saw the scale reading on referal... after that they had to stand backwards
    portion size was important and patients (staff used the service too) had 6 small meals aday

if a patient came weighing 350lb they would start their diet on 3200 calories aday .. decreasing in increments over time .. no shock to the patient

I remember one lady .. fattest one he ever saw ... had to take her to the abattor as the scales hosptial scales did not go that high and she started on 4500 cals aday for months....slowly dropping 150 off at set points in time untill she became with in the normal banding.. if I remember right it took about 3 years to get her from 400lb and something, down to 150ish

loved the old bugger but he had a way with words that could sting..... "bloody hell lass your packing it on..." "carry on like that and you'll look like old Mable" mable being the really fat lady
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Just forget all the formulas and rules. Put accurate information into MFP and follow what it says. It works.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My understanding is it's current weight times 12. Then subtract 250 for 1/2 pound per week weight loss, 500 for a pound, and so on. I am sure current times 10 is pretty close.

This is almost spot on for me.

weight 183

183 X 12= 2196
    - 500 for 1lb loss a week = 1696

My trainer suggests that I eat 1800 cals a day. I workout 5-6 days a week. I feel good and reach all of my macros at 1600-1680 cals a day.

If I were sedentary I think it would be too many calories.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would say that is high! My current weight is 243 and my calorie goals are 1330 a day.. so if I went up to 2430 a day! I'd gain a bunch of weight! Stick to the MFP plan, IT WORKS!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's a generalization and doesn't account for level of activity. I think it's an approximation, but for me, it's way under. Says I should eat 1770. I am currently at 2400 including my level of activity. So, just like any generaliztion, be careful. It's better to be educated and understand what you are doing. BMR and TDEE and cutting 10% or whatever is very, very simple and easy and can be explained in less than 2 minutes. Or in a paragraph or two.