Will this pain ever go away?? lol

Options
Hi!

I did 30DS last night and no i'm walking around like an elderly lady!! its all in my legs and bum really so i'm glad its working!!!

i am doing Zumba in about an hour but i wonder - will this pain go away?? owch!!!

i don't want to stop and rest as i'd done previously, i want to carry on but i do wonder after zumba how id manage getting through another level one 30DS on Wednesday!!!

any advice?

Replies

• Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Rest ur body needs to recover!! When you work out you create tiny tears in your muscles that's why they hurt. Your body compensates by growing more muscle so next time you will be able to preform at that level. You must give you body time to recover, Resting is a very important part to working out. Sorry I know you don't want to hear that and your ready to go full speed but you will wind up just spinning your wheels. This kind of stuff takes time.
  • Lisheeloo
    Lisheeloo Posts: 19
    Options
    My friend is a fitness instructor, I went to do an hour and a half doing various exercises with him in the gym today and I was already aching from yesterday's exercise! He said the best thing to do to sort out aches is have a cold shower, then a hot one - something to do with blood flow/muscles etc (can't remember exactly I was tired!) - gave it a try when I got in and I don't hurt as much now so maybe try that. Have fun at zumba - or maybe rest? Do what you're comfortable with! I'm no expert sorry hehe :flowerforyou:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If that was your first day doing it then yes you will feel pain because your muscles are being worked out. It takes time to relax your muscles again but dont get down on yourself
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If this is your first 30DS type high intensity workout in a long time, you'll feel sore for a few workouts. Best thing is to not work the same major group of muscles at high intensity on back to back days, stay well hydrated, and try to do some light cardio using those sore muscles (like taking a walk). While that might sound brutal, light cardio will help get blood flowing through your muscles a little more rapidly and help flush out the excess lactic acid and water that is accumulated in the muscle fibers. Swelling (in the form of the excess acid and water) is both normal and a good bit of the soreness you're feeling.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Plenty of protein and water.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, Zumba helped my legs at the time but they don't half Ache!!!

it's going up and down stairs and going from standing to sitting or vice versa - the pain is about half way up my thigh on the front side... very odd.

but i'm not used to intense workouts and you guys are right i should take it easy but i so want to do this... i will try 30DS again tomorrow but perhaps follow "anita" who does the slightly easier moves. if it fails i'll have a walk instead....

:D
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    That pain is the build up of lactic acid as the muscles try to repair themsleves. Best thing to do is get active - especially cardio. Not to scare you, but if think today hurts, tomorrow will be worse, if you don't do something about it today. Then day 3 get easier.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I felt like i got hit by a train my first time doing 30DS. It will go away, get plenty of protein and water. And keep moving! If Zumba is too much for you do some yoga or stretching.

Good luck!
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lindsey - i am a huge fan of Jillian and with her DVDs i have lost over 60 pounds in the last 2 years. however, I truly believe she does not do a long enough warm up or cool down. the best thing you can do is take a few minutes before pushing play and do some jumping jacks, running in place, ballistic stretches. Then after, I would do more stretching, including static and ballistic. This will help with the soreness. Good luck and have fun!
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    When I started, my calves were so painfully sore for 4 days! For me, massaging them and having hot water on them helped (too bad I didn't learn this my first couple days).

Edit note: Ooh, yeah, I strong agree with hmcminton. I recommended this to another MFP buddy. Do some of your own warm-ups + stretches beforehand!
  • Just_G
    Just_G Posts: 73 Member
    Options

it's going up and down stairs and going from standing to sitting or vice versa - the pain is about half way up my thigh on the front side... very odd.

Sounds like you worked your quads pretty hard, more pre and post stretching will work wonders.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Rest ur body needs to recover!! When you work out you create tiny tears in your muscles that's why they hurt. Your body compensates by growing more muscle so next time you will be able to preform at that level. You must give you body time to recover, Resting is a very important part to working out. Sorry I know you don't want to hear that and your ready to go full speed but you will wind up just spinning your wheels. This kind of stuff takes time.

This is what I usually do. Although, when I say "rest" I don't mean lie around completely sedentary. Maybe go for a leisurely stroll at a slow pace, or, if you do the Zumba, maybe take it a little easier and don't push quite as hard. I've found that light activity helps work the soreness out of my muscles, but too much activity has the opposite effect.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!

I (wrongly) assumed that Jillian would give me enough of a warm-up and cool-down but i will research some good stretches and how to do them properly and do that first.

You guys are fab xxxxxx