C25K Wk5?

Options
I'm doing the Couch-to-5K app with my girlfriend and I gotta ask: What's up with week 5?

Let me preface this by saying I ran track & cross country in college - I was a runner, before all the injuries. Every time I've started over it's been plot the distance (usually I start with a 2.5-3 mile route) and then do the full distance AWYC ("Any-way-you-can") until I could run it all.

So I never really watched my body's progression. Still, week 5 doesn't make any sense.

We're expected to go from 16 minutes of running, with the largest continuous block being 5 minutes (3-5-3-5) on week 4.

To 15 minutes of running (5-5-5) - Wk 5 Day 1

To 16 minutes of running (8-8) - Wk 5 Day 2 :huh:

To 20 minutes of running ALL IN ONE BLOCK!!! - Wk 5 Day 3 :noway:

Does this seem insane to anyone else???

Replies

• morgnepy
    morgnepy Posts: 1
    Options
    Ha I actually completed week 5 day 1 yesterday (surprisingly without too much trouble either), but I was definitely thinking the same thing. It looks like week 6 follows a similar pattern so maybe that's just how the program compensates as the intervals increase? Who knows. I think day 2 should be manageable but the 20 minute day 3 is a little daunting.
  • nwilson91
    nwilson91 Posts: 70
    Options
    Yeah, I get that it builds, and 5 to 8 is a manageable (if large) bump. But 8 to 20 in one day?!?

I want to run week 5 day 1, then week 6 day 1, then week 5 day 2, then week 6 day 2, then MAYBE I'll be ready for Week 5 day 3... But maybe some week 7 & 8 should factor in first, I haven't scrolled that far ahead...

Or maybe I'll just "man up" and see if I live...

I'll probably update my results, and I'd be curious to hear yours.
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I thought it was but just went for it and I was sooo shocked that I made it for 20 minutes. It was an amazing feeling.... Side note the 2nd time I tried to run 20 minutes I only made it to 15. Just try and see if it works... if it does you will feel great if not go back to the day before for a few days.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Once you finish week 5, you are pretty much done! its the most difficult week in my opinion. But you can do it!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified of it...maybe it is part of the mental game? If suddenly you go from these short intervals to 20 straight minutes, your brain starts to realize that you can do the rest of it since you go back to intervals and then work up running distance.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think the program I did is different from yours....

www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K too and hadn't jumped ahead to see what week 5 looks like. (I'm on week 4). Now I'm scared!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Which app? There are several.

I have the one by RunDouble and actually just started it today. Now I'm scared. Lol
  • Enkibean
    Enkibean Posts: 56
    Options
    I've done the complete C25K before, and am working my way thru it again. Last night, I finished week 5 day 3, the 20 minute run. Yes, week 5 does come as a shock, and you hurt for a while after, but if you make it thru that one, you're golden for the rest of the program!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k a few weeks ago and thought w5d3 was crazy too, however, I was able to do it on the first try. It wasn't that bad, it's mostly mental. Once you're able to continuously run for 5 min, running doesn't seem to get much harder after that.

I ran my first 5k race on the last day of the program. I ran it without stopping in 34:35.

You can do it! good luck.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I just finished the C25K a couple months ago. That run isn't as tough as it sounds if you set an easy pace. If you started the program after several years of not running at all and you try to do week 5 day 3 at an 8 minute pace it will most likely be tough. If you set a pace around 11 or 12 minutes you'll get it done.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can do it. Each jump up has been scary, but you did it. This is the same. Do it. Pace yourself. You'll feel awesome.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I started week 5 today myself. No problem really with today. I actually ran 6 minutes for the last interval just to get a little extra in. I'm 2 runs away and it still looks daunting to me as well. We just have to take others word for it and see what happens. I've read to many success stories to doubt it now. I believe the mental part. Like they told us in boot camp "It is mind over matter. The pain doesnt mind because you dont matter"....LOL.

Good luck!!!!!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Personally I found week 4 too slow so I did all 3 days back to back in one session (running the 5 minute walks a the end of day 1 and day 2). Two days later I just went out and ran a 5k non-stop, hills and all. Can't say I was all that fast (41:53) but I didn't stop or walk at all. This plan probably wouldn't work for everyone but if you pace yourself you should not have a problem following the c25k plan. Best of luck.
  • nwilson91
    Options
    Well, as predicted, the 5 to 8 bump was bearable, if hard.

The old tricks still work: just find the groove, concentrate on your stride and breathing and don't be a slave to the clock - but I was gasping/gassing and checking the clock long before (~6min in) I reached the 8 minute mark (both times).

It then became an act of will to finish it out.

I know I need to lengthen my route and go the distance on this 20min run, but I am still not positive it will happen.
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ha, we thought the same thing! "so you want me to go from running for my longest of 8 minutes to more than double that at 20? Are you insane?" Will admit, had to stop twice for about 10 sec. to grab a drink of water, but made it through. On week 6 day 3 today and had to run 22 nonstop.....yes, had to stop twice again for a drink but am amazed that I can do what I'm doing since I couldn't run a quarter mile without feeling like I was going to die~ and like you, I ran track in high school. It's challenging, but the feeling of doing it is so amazing. Just push through it, and if you have to stop, don't beat yourself up over it. It's ok! If I can't get through a particular day the way the program has it, I make sure to do it again b/c I'm determined to make it through a run before I move on.

You're doing great!:smile:
  • MrsSnelly
    MrsSnelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck on week 5 for so long, with not being consistent in my workouts, etc. So I signed up for our local city celebration 5K this weekend, and will do my wk5d3 then. I have a friend I run it with, so I think we can keep each other going. I don't expect my full 5K time to be stellar, my goal for the end of the summer (by Labor Day) is to run a 30-minute 5K; this weekend will be more like 40 I think. I'm excited to try it, see if I can get off this plateau I've been stuck on, and beat myself at the mental game. Good luck to all of us!! :happy:
  • nwilson91
    Options
    Well I ran it today and made it! :bigsmile:

I should warn people that I began the day pretty tight - I was sore all day yesterday from Day 2, more sore than I have been after any other workout - and that soreness persisted into this morning. But after a couple minutes of running that dropped away and I was able to hit the groove.

I did made the mistake of checking the clock at my pre-designated turnaround, and found that I was only about 13 1/2 minutes in, but then was fighting not to constantly check the clock the rest of the run. :grumble:

I guess the big news is: Try it out, if you don't push forward you limit yourself. Good luck to those starting it out and we'll see you on the road!
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    I was on week 5 last week and I agree, it was tough. I had to take 2 real quick breaks during the 20. Today I did not follow it, but ran for ten, walked for five, ran for another 10, ran for 5, then ran for another 5. It was kinda brutal, LOL.