2 questions....

mcohan
mcohan Posts: 116 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
1) i am just starting a regular workout routine, and i find myself eating more....still within my calorie range almost allthe time. it just feels weird to me and it is kind of hard to mentally get used to it...ya know? i feellike this is normal though anyone else eat a little more when they start exercising? i just dont want to gain...

2) which is more accurate....the manual scale at the gym (you know the one where you have to slide the little thingys to balance)? or the digital scale i have at my house....sometimes they are different...

thanks guys! happy monday!!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    It's normal to have more of an appetite when exercising, your metabolism is reved up and the body needs fuel.
    It's hard to say which one is more accurate. Just always use just one of them to watch your progress.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    If you're burning more calories you're going to need to eat more calories. Eat up your exercise calories, if you see when you add in a work-out, MFP already factors those in when it tells you what you have remaining for the day. You will end up "netting" whatever it told you to eat to lose. See this post for questions. As for the scale, no clue.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

As for the scale, no clue. :happy:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    The manual scale is, unless broken, I'd say always more accurate. Your comparing two actual weights, and balancing them, as opposed to the electronic scale which just measures pressure, and can be effected by environmental factors.
  • 1) i am just starting a regular workout routine, and i find myself eating more....still within my calorie range almost allthe time. it just feels weird to me and it is kind of hard to mentally get used to it...ya know? i feellike this is normal though anyone else eat a little more when they start exercising? i just dont want to gain...

2) which is more accurate....the manual scale at the gym (you know the one where you have to slide the little thingys to balance)? or the digital scale i have at my house....sometimes they are different...

thanks guys! happy monday!!

For food: u should be more hungry when exercising because the exercise burns of the food you've eaten. As for scales, I had to toss out my old dial scale because I got a different # everytime I got on it. The scale at my gym was more consistent. However I have since purchased a nice Tanita digital scale (ended up getting it for 70% off). It has all the bells & whistles and it gives a consistent read out!

BTW-scales are sensitive creatures. They must be placed on a hard level surface or the readings will be all over the place. I lost 40lbs by weighing myself in my bedroom with the scale on carpet...I gained it all back when I moved the scale to bathroom which has a tile floor
This discussion has been closed.