For women over 40...Can we build muscle?

Options

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    where is California girl when you need her :D
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well, I am almost 62 and need a hip replacement. Can I gain muscle?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Google "Ernestine Shepherd". Here's her website: http://ernestineshepherd.net/
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    where is California girl when you need her :D

She got banned from posting on the forums from too many people stalking her posts and reporting her for posting too long posts and pics. :-(

She is an awesome example of getting a rock hard muscular body at 50 tho! Her posts are a big reason I stuck with this after the first couple of weeks. If I had the success that she did, I would be posting my story all over here as well! Haters gotta hate.

Here is her blog-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/californiagirl2012
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the OP might have found there answer after 4 years.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am aged 44, started strength training / lifting almost a year ago, lost a lot of weight, and I don't have bingo wings. Any opportunity to wear a short sleeved dress or a vest top, and I am there.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think the OP might have found there answer after 4 years.

Lol, will teach me to pay attention to detail.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I can't do much for myself right now because of a medical issue, but I've got some awesome over forty friends who body build and look amazing! There are lots of over 40 women here on mfp too with terrific muscles. Go for it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I know enough women in your age range and older on here and in real life to know that you can get strong and build muscles at any age.

It's not a question of "if" but "how".
  • thibideau
    thibideau Posts: 19 Member
    Options
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9l66ch2hr1qzlcg0o1_500.jpg
  • argenamcadoo
    argenamcadoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very helpful... Thank you....
  • thibideau
    thibideau Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just turned 66. Have had both hips replaced. Started walking when I joined MFP in Oct.2012 and started 30 day shred 2 days ago. My muscles are screaming. Sure hope I will build muscle
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Obviously I'm not an over 40 female :tongue:

BUT

My wife is 40 and female, and all of her friends are 40 and over (or very close)

and I know from experience that you can definitely build good firm muscle tone in your 40's.
    My wife is a body pump instructor, and one of her best friends is a 45 year old trainer that is in remarkable shape. It doesn't take hours and hours in the gym either, It's not so much about how long you work out for, it's about how well you work when you do (obviously, you need at least 3 times a week working out to build muscle, but other than that...). Best way to firm up and tone all over is to perform non-isolating routines. By that I mean doing exercises that don't isolate a specific muscle, but instead force you to perform a more complex move that encompasses many muscle groups. A good example of an isolation routine would be a Bicep curl. A good example of a compound exercise would be a squat thrust or a clean and press. With these compound routines you are getting an aspect of cardio, working multiple muscle groups, and strengthening antagonistic muscles that may not get the right amount or training with isolation routines.

I'm 46 and started taking BodyPump a few years ago.
    Absolutely you can build muscle.
    I don't go very heavy with the weights but I can definitely see tonig and definition, especially in my upper body where the muscles are smaller and quicker to tone.

BTW: my BodyPump instructor had a baby 2 years ago when she was 47.
    Didn't slow her down one bit (she teaches BodyStep and Attack too)
    She was over the top her entire pregnancy and put the rest of us to shame...:tongue:
    She has A-mazing muscles!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Of course you can. You just have to use your muscles consistently. You don't have to go to the gym and left heavy irons. You build and strengthen muscles just by using them. Walking, cycling, squatting, climbing stairs, all work your major muscle groups, and when you are carrying extra body weight, you are 'lifting heavy'. As you get down into a healthier body fat %, you can work up to intentional heavy lifting to sculpt your body like you want.
    And when you have a lot of extra body fat, you can strengthen and preserve a lot of your muscle mass while losing weight at the same time.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I love this! That is so going to be me!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ernestine Shepherd is a 75 years old bodybuilder and she did not start until she was 56.

original.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxmj_HHfWA
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    3647838_460s.jpg