"Oh, she just has big bones," y do ppl say this?

Options
2»

Replies

• almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    fitnessocial, I got the scatter graph from a search I did on Google. Type in:
    body fat vs bmi graph
    then click on Images on the left hand side. You'll see lots of scatter graphs, I can't find the one I showed but it's there somewhere probably. This search is useful for other relationships, such as life expectancy, income, race, gender etc. Just make sure you use the word "graph" and click on Images.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    "Big Boned" means FAT.
    People are just trying to be kind. It's like when they say she's "cute in the face" :bigsmile:
    Now you know.....it all means FAT!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    doesn't your frame just get bigger to support your body weight when your still growing ? if you lose weight after that there is no going back for your bone structure. I feel like i have wide shoulders and my midsection (rib cage) is wide.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    doesn't your frame just get bigger to support your body weight when your still growing ? if you lose weight after that there is no going back for your bone structure. I feel like i have wide shoulders and my midsection (rib cage) is wide.

no it doesn't your skeleton size is determined by genetics, if you have too much body fat you just pile it on around your skeleton. Frame size only goes so far, there is variation between people but not that much variation. You might find some people who are size 8 (USA 8/UK 12) while lean because of their frame size, but you won't find someone who's a size 20 because of frame size, above a certain size the difference is purely the amount of body fat. And there are lots of obese people who have small frames in fact if you're very obese you can't really tell your actual frame size easily without losing enough weight for your bone structure to become apparent.

Being fat growing up will not change your frame size. I was not fat growing up at all, I was very lean until my late teens and 20s. However i have a large frame because my dad has a large frame and his dad has a large frame, and my 2 yr old also has a large frame while my 5 yr old has a small frame like my husband. (neither of my kids are overweight, in fact my 5yr old is underweight according to the charts, but she's not, she's short like me with a small frame like her dad!)

so if you have a large frame it's because you're genetically predisposed to have one, lose the fat and you'll still have a large frame.

your bones will get denser or less dense depending on how much exercise you do and whether you eat enough calcium, but that only affects the weight of the bones, not their size.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow at the scanned picture :O