Smoothie replacement for banana?

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
I make smoothies a lot during the summer with frozen berries, 1/2 cup of light soymilk, and a banana. I've been trying to stay under my sugar intake better (or, you know, at all) and I realized my banana is adding TWELVE grams of sugar per smoothie! I mainly just use it as a thickener, what's an alternative to thicken it up?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's why i stopped tracking sugar. MFP needs to differentiate between fruit sugar and processed sugar.
    i wouldnt worry about it, or if you are really worried you can use half a banana. when i get bananas i cut them in half and freeze them that way
  • barb_ww
    barb_ww Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with 3/4 cup frozen berries, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of skim milk. The frozen berries and Greek yogurt make it pretty thick. Sometimes I need to add a bit of water because it is to thick. Also sometimes throw in 1 or 2 tsp of ground flax seed. You could try just using half of a banana also.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Avocado!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, which though they have a fair amount of sugar; actually have properties that lower blood sugar levels as a whole.

Avocados, as blondie mentioned; bananas are from the same family, and it is one of the highest fiber fruit items in existance.
  • maryfobian
    maryfobian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use HALF a banana! I agree that they add a nice thickening effect to smoothies. I slice bananas and freeze them on a baking sheet, then toss them into a quart-sized freezer bag. Advantages: substitutes for ice, extends shelf life, and allows serving size flexibility.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Adding ground flax seeds works for me - it adds protein, fiber, and ZERO sugar : )
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Adding ground flax seeds works for me - it adds protein, fiber, and ZERO sugar : )

Oi, yeah, almost forgot. Flax or chia seed/powder are awesome for thickening but nutritionally are great.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with just using half and freeze it. :D
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use half a banana.