Im jaded and not buying into trainers advice

Options
2»

Replies

• walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I call bs on the 8 meals. My trainer (I used for 50 sessions) understood I didn't eat before 10 am. He understood that with my job, restaurant manager, I couldn't always plan a specific time for meals/snacks. His advice when you eat, eat properly. Don't wait till you're hungry because you will end up over eating. Balance your diet. (some days I'm lucky to get one good meal in but I make sure it's healthy and try to eat some fruit or nuts as a snack).

As for a hrm I think they are great. Downfall, I began obsessing over how many cals I was burning and consuming and all the number overload consumed me! I stopped losing weight and started to get frustrated with myself. So I have put it away (I stopped using a trainer in Nov., got the hrm in April) and am listening to my body again because before I became obsessed I was losing 1-2 pounds a week. Good luck! And best advice i can give you is listen to your body.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    For gods sake give the guy a chance. You arent going to see results straight away. If you are questioning how he does things on here, then why not just ask him or tell him your doubts?? He is the professional, not us.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't see anywhere in th OPs post where she says he is a dietician or nutritonalist??

In my opinion I take training advice off my trainers and keep my own counsel when it comes to nutrition. You know the sign of a really good trainer? Its when they acknoweldge the limits of their own expertise :)
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't see anywhere in th OPs post where she says he is a dietician or nutritonalist??

In my opinion I take training advice off my trainers and keep my own counsel when it comes to nutrition. You know the sign of a really good trainer? Its when they acknoweldge the limits of their own expertise :)

The last three sentences says his trainer is certified.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Now maybe Im a bad example Ive just started running and I alternate with 10.5% gradient after 40 mins on threadmill I have burnt 300 cals Im 5 2 female and weigh 149lbs,1000 cals seems an awful lot to me,then again maybe you are super fit,I would agree with eating 8 times a day,best of luck let us know how it goes!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

The last three sentences says his trainer is certified.

Lol thanks, I swear I read that post 8 times and missed it.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hang on a minute, you've lost OVER a HUNDRED POUNDS and you're JADED? Holy cow I'd be running naked laps around the planet! If you can't smell your roses can I have them please?

I would give this guy a chance, while you're working with him ask him to explain the science behind what he's telling you, you might actually thing "actually, yeah that makes sense".

My trainer said some things to me that caused a raised eyebrow, however I'm giving it a chance. I'm on my 29th session with him shortly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I rarely get anyone that burns 1000 calories on a strength training workout. And the ones I have were superb athletes. The 550 sounds so much closer.
    It basically is about calories in and out, and the BS about 8 meals a day ONLY counts IF you're in calorie deficit.

I don't BS my clients. If they lagged, I'll let them know. If they aren't changing their bodies, then something is up with their eating, rest, or another obstacle. But it goes both ways. I'll applaud success and wins even if there are minimal results. My goal ultimately is to GET RID OF MY CLIENTS. I don't want them to stay because they aren't achieving. If they have been with the same trainer for years and little change, then whatever the trainer is doing for them isn't working obviously.
    And I'll be honest: there are some clients that have switched to other trainers because they don't agree with my philosophy. Can't win 'em all. But I don't mislead people with stupid fitness industry scams like supplement sales because "without them you won't succeed" lines or junk science like "eating after 7pm will add fat to your body".
    Ask him again for SOLID reasons for his philosophy. Then ask if there's actual scientific research to back it. I know that if I get asked, I would provide it. If he can't, then he's just echoing fitness industry vernacular.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The reason you won't lose as much weight as you will inches (especially at first) is because with a trainer, you are focusing on weight lifting. You are BUILDING MUSCLE (weights more than fat) while BURNING fat. Keeping your metabolism up by eating every 2-3 hours is a part of that.

I don't know if I agree with eating 8 times a day... I personally eat 6 times a day. three meals between 300-400 calories once calculated, and three "snacks" (ie: protein shake, apple and cheese stick, yogurt and 1/2 of berries, etc.). The other meals I eat are all lean meats, veggies, and combinations of high protein and complex carbs.

You WILL see progress.
    Give them a shot.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The reason you won't lose as much weight as you will inches (especially at first) is because with a trainer, you are focusing on weight lifting. You are BUILDING MUSCLE (weights more than fat) while BURNING fat. Keeping your metabolism up by eating every 2-3 hours is a part of that.

I don't know if I agree with eating 8 times a day... I personally eat 6 times a day. three meals between 300-400 calories once calculated, and three "snacks" (ie: protein shake, apple and cheese stick, yogurt and 1/2 of berries, etc.). The other meals I eat are all lean meats, veggies, and combinations of high protein and complex carbs.

You WILL see progress.
    Give them a shot.

1) you cannot build new muscle on a deficit
    2) muscle does not actually burn much more than fat (I think its between 4 - 9 calores per lb of muscle per day)
    3) how often you eat has no impact on your metabolism (all other things being equal)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You WILL see progress.
    Give them a shot.

1) you cannot build new muscle on a deficit
    2) muscle does not actually burn much more than fat (I think its between 4 - 9 calores per lb of muscle per day)
    3) how often you eat has no impact on your metabolism (all other things being equal)

Word! Lot's myths all at once it that post.