Running - Training for a race

Options
Hello everybody! =)
So in October there is a race in my village, in which I'd like to participate. However, I'm not quite sure what distance to choose, since they only offer 2: 4.5 km and 12 km.
Currently I manage to run 4.5 km in 31:45 mins. I train 2-4 times a week, depending on my schedule.
Considering that I've got a few months to train more, 4.5 km seems too easy, but I have doubts that I'd manage to run the 12 km.

What do you think? Any advice?

Thank you! =)

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    How quickly do you have to decide? Would it be possible to hold off on registering for the race? If so, you could train for the longer distance and if you're not feeling confident about the 12k about 1 month out from the race you could always fall back to the shorter race and spend those next few weeks working on your speed. Just a thought... Good luck!
    :happy:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I think you could train for the 12K by October. I'm training for a 10K in November, but really hope to be able to do it sooner than that!
  • Steffinana
    Steffinana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have to decide on the spot, but I should probably have a good idea what to do in a month or so. I think I'll try to go for the 12 k, but I guess I'll see =)
    Thanks!!

Do you have any training suggestions?

@ omma_to_3 : good luck with your 10k! =)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    4.5 km seems too easy...

It won't be easy if your run it as hard as you can. :)

shorter =/= easier
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Like Carson said - short races are not easy, you're going flat out for a shorter period of time but the intensity can be way higher. I know a few accomplished marathon runners who find 5K races intimidating.

Try adding some distance to your slow day, build up gradually and see how you feel. If you're training 3 or 4 times weekly you have plenty of time to build up to 12km.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You definitely have time to train for the 12K, but if you're looking for a different goal, why not set yourself a time challenge for the 4.5K, say 28 minutes?

I find anything over 5K quite a different prospect in terms of speed and endurance from 5K and under.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Short races when done "properly" are extremely demanding. I did a 5k last October and after I was done, my legs hurt just as much as my half marathon the year before.

But if you decide to do the 12k, you have plenty of time to build up your mileage before October. Just ad a couple minutes more each time you go for a run, and every 4th week, cut your distance/time by approx. 30% for each run that week. This will help your legs recover.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Register for the 12k. The few races i've been in have allowed you to change to the shorter one if needed. If you aren't super competitive with yourself and worried about your speed then the 12k would be a peice of cake, just slow and steady.
  • athleticknit
    Options
    when short races are done , they are harder because you use all your energy up in a shortspace of time , with longer races you have the chance to hold back and go at a steady pace , id advise the 12k because theirs more speed options if you dont wanna go flat out which i wouldent advise if you havent trained for it .
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer? Do you like running shorter or longer? Do you want to get so you can run longer? If you up your weekly mileage 10% each week (don't know what your weekly mileage is now) you should keep safe from injuries. If you want to challenge yourself to go further, do the long. If you want to challenge yourself to go faster, do the shorter one.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Work on distance OR speed. Not both at the same time, especially as a new runner.

I'm a long distance runner (currently training for a marathon) but I race all distances. The 5K is an entirely different animal from the marathon, both are difficult in their own rights if you go all out :)

If I were you, I'd go for the 12K. But if you want to improve your speed, stick with the 4.5K and get in some speedwork and up your long run to 8K or 10K.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Like Carson said - short races are not easy, you're going flat out for a shorter period of time but the intensity can be way higher. I know a few accomplished marathon runners who find 5K races intimidating.

Try adding some distance to your slow day, build up gradually and see how you feel. If you're training 3 or 4 times weekly you have plenty of time to build up to 12km.

5K's can be intimidating, but that's all about what you make of them. I personally LOVE 13.1M as a distance, and have run many a race at that distance, but I stay away from 5k's I know that it's a totally different training and preperation to run as a race. That, and a large % of the registrants run 5k's for fun or because they are new to running and it's a safe distance. When you line up for 13.1 or 26.2 you know that 99.9% of the people there have trained very hard and have dedicated their time to it the same as you. I guess that's a feeling I look for if I'm dropping money on an event.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Better question, do you want to race it? In that case do the 4.5km as you wont be nearly in any shape to race a 12.5km...

Put in perspective, racing a 4.5km you should do under 25min at minimum... aiming for 20m or lower.... a 12.5km, well 45-60m would be a good time...

If however you just want to finish, then go the distance, do the longer one, it will boost your confidence, they usually have a long enough cut-off even walkers can do them(brisk/fast walkers mind you).

Thing is, a race you got to push yourself get your best time, beat a certain target or beat everyone in age group etc, if your just running to get medal, then it doesn't matter unless it is a specific medal you have in mind...

Anyway either way sign up for the longer one, just about every race will allow you on race day (Though like 1-2hrs before race) to downgrade your race distance, some allow upgrades but you pay extra and might not be available etc etc.... safer to go for longer then downgrade if needed...
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've not yet raced so I cannot comment on race day effects, but I employ the following variety in my training:

5kms 80-90% max heart rate
    10kms 75-80%
    16kms 70-75%
    Intervals (inc. hill intervals)

Of those I don't think I could possibly pick one that was easier or harder since the distance/duration switches the intensity.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go for the 12km. The reason being variety. My first several months running was all at 5km trying to go faster and faster and really that gets a bit boring. I enjoy mixing it up now.

There are many, many training plans out there you can follow so I would do some reasearch and find one that sounds like a fit for you.

I'll bet you'd be surprised how readily you could go out now and double your distance. I know I was. I just went out one day and did 10kms, careful to keep my pace a full minute per km slower than my 5km pace. It's probably not the best way to do it but it definately felt good and gave me the confidence to sign up to a half-marathon.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    BTW, here are some tips for first time racers that might help :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-before-my-first-race-266231