To all you CKO kickboxers Glove question

Options
Nikkei24
Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
So I bought some CKO kickboxing classes and am going ot buy a pair of gloves before going. I was wondering what would be best. Everlast Women's Train Advanced 6-Ounce Vinyl Wrist Wrap Kick Boxing Glove, Everlast Women's Pro Style Training Gloves, or Everlast Train Advanced Wristwrap Heavy Bag Gloves. They would be used for about 2 classes a week for 10 weeks. Hope someone can help. I figured one of the finger free gloves whould make sense for when you do things like push ups and such.

Let me know

THANKS!

Replies

• Nikkei24
    Options
    Yikes not even one response :(
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    When I did kick boxing I had to buy childrens gloves so I can't really help you haha, sorry.
    ETA:
    The MMA gloves aren't that great for boxing unless you have already done some training. A couple of guys in my classes bought them and all ended up with injuries because they weren't ready for them, they needed to gain technique the trainer said.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I would go with the full size glove (like the second one you listed). In my experience, the cheaper Everlast gloves aren't that great. OK for a beginner though, but there are others that offer more protection. The upper end Everlast gloves I heard are a lot better quality.

You need to make sure to invest in wrist wraps and learn how to properly wrap your hands as well.

12-14oz gloves would be good. I would go with velcro for simplicity.

If you're training 2 days a week, the cheaper everlasts should do. You should be able to pick up some everlast wrist wraps from the same spot you get the gloves.

Other brands I like:
    Boon
    Rival
    Twins
    Fairtex

Have fun!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I would go with the full size glove (like the second one you listed). In my experience, the cheaper Everlast gloves aren't that great. OK for a beginner though, but there are others that offer more protection. The upper end Everlast gloves I heard are a lot better quality.

You need to make sure to invest in wrist wraps and learn how to properly wrap your hands as well.

12-14oz gloves would be good. I would go with velcro for simplicity.

If you're training 2 days a week, the cheaper everlasts should do. You should be able to pick up some everlast wrist wraps from the same spot you get the gloves.

Other brands I like:
    Boon
    Rival
    Twins
    Fairtex

Have fun!
    THIS. I'm a kickboxing instructor and wrist wraps and full size gloves are MANDATORY in my classes till someone knows it well enough (how to punch properly and keep wrists "locked") to use any other type of glove. The gloves mentioned above can be bought at TITLEBOXING.com. I have a pair of RIVALs that I love. Not cheap, but they should last me a very long time.
    Also get good shoes. Minimalist's ones. Don't take the class in running/trainer shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • akid4fr
    akid4fr Posts: 4
    Options
    What type of shoes do you mean? Minimalist's ones.....what does that mean? And, where would I find them? Obviously I'm a newbie to boxing. I'm excited, however, to get started?
    Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes do you mean? Minimalist's ones.....what does that mean? And, where would I find them? Obviously I'm a newbie to boxing. I'm excited, however, to get started?
    Thanks!
    Shoes that try to keep you "flat" as possible on the floor. Most running/ training shoes have THICK soles. Minimalist shoes don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nikkei24
    Options
    Thanks guys!