Lost 10lb, but only 5lb was fat?

Options
So I've been trying to cut up, and I dropped my weight by 10 lb (207 to 197), but really only dropped my BF% from 13ish to 11 ish. So I lost about 5 lb of fat and 5 lb of lean mass. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, and I can lift more now than when I was 207, so where did the other 5lb come from?

Replies

• trainertobe
    Options
    the other 5lb could have easily been water weight.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    water?
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't think so because I was fluctuating between 206-210 for about a year, and dropping the weight took about 6 months, and I've been between 196-198 for the last month pretty consistently. My water%, if you believe my scale, is 62%, which is about average.
  • trainertobe
    Options
    did you weigh yourself on an empty stomach?
  • ChrisRS87
    Options
    Most of my weigh ins were immediately before beginning my workout. There might be some fluctuation based on what I ate that day, but for the most part I was consistent.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    is this really a question? because you just answered it
    5 lb of fat and 5 lb of lean mass

If you have lost lean mass you are losing muscle and that's not good.
  • ChrisRS87
    Options
    But if I lost muscle, wouldn't I be weaker? I can squat, bench, row, press, curl, etc more weight than ever.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    not necessarily.

If you are lifting heavy you need to fuel your body at an appropriate level where your muscle is not being used as fuel because you are not eating enough.

It may come off slower, but at least the real losses will be from BF and not muscle.

Look up the "eat more to weigh less" group or do a little research on TDEE and BMR.