do you eat exercise calories as well?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tudbetunny
    Options
    I eat some of the exercise calories, but still try to leave myself 3-400 in deficit if humanly possible. Harder on on gym days where you don't burn any additional calories through exercise!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have through my entire weight loss... and now I do through maintenance. :smile:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    And thank you for sharing those wise words. Elders are always so kind to share their wisdom. We are all smarter for having read your post and we get that you have "seen a similar topic before". Thanks again, now move along.

Elder? LOL!

Check a mirror there, Kansas.

--P
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my exercise calories.
  • DonnaDtr
    DonnaDtr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Only about half...I follow what my body is asking for....
  • disneydreamer61605
    Options
    my goal is 1,400 for the day i eat 1,200 and burn 700 and do NOT eat back the calories I burn
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    If MFP has me eating 1200 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week and I burn 400 calories a day it means I'm only taking in 800. I need to most likely eat those extra 400 calories (or less) to get somewhere around 1200.

If you're eating 1200, you're taking in 1200.

If you are trying to make your intake match your expenditure, that's called maintenance. You can't eat everything you expend AND lose weight.

um ... no.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If MFP has me eating 1200 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week and I burn 400 calories a day it means I'm only taking in 800. I need to most likely eat those extra 400 calories (or less) to get somewhere around 1200.

If you are trying to make your intake match your expenditure, that's called maintenance. You can't eat everything you expend AND lose weight.

um ... no.

Please, enlighten me. :smile:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Might be a stupid comment but why eat them back? How will you lose any weight? I thought the idea was to burn more than you take in to lose weight.
    Have been wrong all this time?!

If you have your calories set to give you a deficit without exercise, eating exercise calories (assuming they are accurately measured) will give you the same deficit. That is how you will lose weight.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

um ... no.

Please, enlighten me. :smile:

you burn calories by forcing your body to go above and beyond normal expenditure. so using the 1200 example, burning 400 by working out, you are netting 800 for the day -- because your body used those 400 already. body needs the rest of those base calories just to run your brain, heart, lungs, etc.

and if you are eating at 1200, you are eating in a deficit. your body more than likely needs more than that to maintain.

me, for example. I eat right now at 1725. that's a deficit for me. so I will lose weight with that many net calories. if I don't work out and eat 1725, I lose. if I burn 300 at the gym and eat those back to hit a total of 1725, I lose. I'm not at maintenance if I'm losing weight. once I get to maintenance, I won't be netting a deficit. maintenance is finishing your day with the number of calories needed to hold the same weight - neither gaining nor losing.

(I eat everything I expend. I've lost more than 39 pounds. so ... I think you CAN do that. in fact, most of the people on this site do that, and many have lost upwards of 100 pounds. tried and true.)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Think you misunderstood. If you're trying to make your intake match your expenditure, you wouldn't set yourself to lose 1lb/week (500/day cut.) As long as you're confident in your measures of exercise calories, eating them back would maintain the 500/day cut (not increase it, not decrease it).
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    nope, takes 3500 burned cals to lose, why eat all your cals back?

I like to lose weight not flat line or gain :)

min daily cals for women is 1200 men is 1800

yep yep im good!
  • TNoire
    Options
    I have this strange feeling of deja vu.....

me too *looks at the 100 other threads on this topic*

they should just sticky one lol
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    And thank you for sharing those wise words. Elders are always so kind to share their wisdom. We are all smarter for having read your post and we get that you have "seen a similar topic before". Thanks again, now move along.

Elder? LOL!

--P

Mirror? Check your profile age. Not to mention that creepy line you deliver about going after younger women. Stick to your old folks home grandpa perv.
  • TNoire
    Options
    my goal is 1,400 for the day i eat 1,200 and burn 700 and do NOT eat back the calories I burn

I hear you my goal is 1200-1400 max, 150 carbs or less per day and high protein
    its worked for me

I gained almost 200lbs after highschool when I quit smoking (thats 12yrs ago)
    I lost 156lbs in 19 months by doing just this
    after the house buy/sell i gained some back
    back on track now tho :)
    haven't weigh'd in for awhile now, over a month, think i should :P
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    wow, this is a new refreshing topic :indifferent:

lol I know, right?!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Elder? LOL!

--P

Mirror? Check your profile age. Not to mention that creepy line you deliver about going after younger women. Stick to your old folks home grandpa perv.

LOL. You really have some anger issues. I find this in most of the bald men I know. Get over it.

--P
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Elder? LOL!

--P

LOL. You really have some anger issues. I find this in most of the bald men I know. Get over it.

--P

Say what you like. People come out here for help and advice for weight loss. Your worthless contributions and posts that make fun of peoples questions dont help anyone. If you have nothing productive to add, dont just come out to make fun of their posts and how you are such a veteren you have seen the post many times before. Many of us are new and have not had all the experience you have had out here.

And I just looked back at all the other posts you have made on this site and it seems like most of them are making fun of people or telling them they are in "too many Oreo's mode". The only time you are complimentary is on some females pictures after she has lost a bunch of weight. Just more of that creepy elderly perv coming out in you.