12+ mile Spartan Beast Race

Options
Hi!! I'm training for the Spartan Beast Race in SC in October. It's 12 + miles plus a couple dozen obstacles...going to be crazy. I think I'm crazy. I'm going to train for a 1/2 marathon at the same time...I have heard this race is harder than a marathon. Oh my!!! I'm focusing on my nutrition and trying to balance carb and protein intake for intense cardio and strength training.
I'd love to connect with others serious about their workouts and serious about getting their nutrition squared away. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Replies

• Lavenderpegasus
    Options
    Hello,

I'm training for the same race here in London. I have done fun runs before but nothing like the Spartan race, my longest race is 13km.
    Lets forget the past, the future is what I need to work towards.

I'm working out with a trainer twice a week for strength, and I skate 3 times a week (6 hours) I also try to run everyday (but i have been sick recently) about 5km...

I feel daunted by it all, how are you going?

Samantha
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it is harder than a marathon - it is marketed that way.

just be careful. a lot of people do get hurt in these types of races. You should probably decide which is more important, the obstacle thing or the HM.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

just be careful. a lot of people do get hurt in these types of races. You should probably decide which is more important, the obstacle thing or the HM.

Have you done the Spartan? I would say it is MUCH harder than a marathon.
  • brandyk77
    Options

Nope. I have however done a 25K up ski hills in 95F heat.

Now if you are just running a marathon, well maybe. If you are racing it, no way. It is 12 miles with a bunch of stopping and doing other stuff.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

For transparency I have not done the Spartan Beast, but I have done both a 5k obstacle race and 5ks and the obstacle race trumps the plain ole 5k every day imo.

Now if you are just running a marathon, well maybe. If you are racing it, no way. It is 12 miles with a bunch of stopping and doing other stuff.
  • brandyk77
    Options

12 miles doees not equal 26.2. Your body has limits and the marathon distance and time required for non elites tests these limits.

For transparency I have not done the Spartan Beast, but I have done both a 5k obstacle race and 5ks and the obstacle race trumps the plain ole 5k every day imo.

• alex_morley
    Options
    I haven't done a Spartan but I have done Tough Guy in the UK which is the same kind of length assault/obstacle course and I can safely say it's NOT harder than a marathon.

If you're fit enough for a decent half-marathon, you should be fine - just remember to do some extra hill work in your training to really strengthen your legs for the various climbing obstacles.

Al
  • Lavenderpegasus
    Options
    Can I just ask, what sort of people do the Spartan Beast. I'm concerned I'm going to be the fat person there and people will laugh.
  • BSLugnut
    BSLugnut Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's what you have done or haven't done or the physical shape of your body.

To test yourself for a Spartan Race, add 2 miles to the race specs (Beast = 15 miles).

During a 15+ training run, stop every mile stop to perform 30 walking lunges, 30 bear crawls, 30 burpees.

This will provide you a gauge, for your endurance for the Beast!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    brandyk77 wrote: »

I have done both a vouch that the Spartan is tougher than a 1/2 marathon. You have over 600m of elevation, massive uphills, monkey bars, rope climbs, rings, and a dozen other tough obstacles that if you fail, you must do 30 full on burpees. Every time. There's nothing fun about it. It is a personal challenge and it is timed. No helping out, posing for pictures or laughing along the way like casual mud runs.

I have to tell you that I loved every single race that I've done. Never been injured, always took my time. Spartan is by far the toughest one I've done. I say go for it. Because finishing it will only push you to be better at your next race. And what you learn to do along the way is awesome. I have not ever seen 'many' injuries at the races I've been. Sure, there have been some, but not many. In addition, it's hardcore HIIT so prep for that and practice hills. Lots of them. Just when you think it's enough, run it again!

As of the half-marathon was drab. Sure, around km 14-15 it gets mentally and physically challenging but nowhere near a Spartan beast.

Good luck and work a lot on upper body. If you can do 15 chin-ups and 30 good burpees in a row, you will be fine. Add in there uphills and running. Have a blast!