Can you help me work out my Daily Calories?

Options
Hey!

So - i'm buying in to this theory of Eat More to Lose More.

i have netted around 650-700 cals the last few days and i know thats not right. So... i'd like to work out my daily calories..

I weigh 197lbs. i'm female, 27yrs old and 5ft 6". i'd like to weigh around 140lbs or so.

I work at a desk all day so i'd class an ordinary day as sedentry.

I am now doing Zumba once to twice a week. 30DS the other days and 1 official Rest Day.

Any ideas what my TDEE and Cals to consume should be.

I know it sounds obvious but i'd like to lose weight ASAP but i know this is a journey not a race. 2lbs a week would keep me very motivated.x

Replies

• ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hey Lindsey!

I found I was really struggling when MFP got me down to 1200 calories and I got stuck on a bit of a plateau so I changed my settings to lose 1.5lb per week rather than 2lb and I found the weight started coming off again.

It's now slowed a little, but I'm still averaging 1.7lb a week or something like that so it's not too bad :)

xxx
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're doing Zumba twice a week, and 30DS the other days, that's not really sedentary, that's actually fairly active.

Your BMR is 1695.25
    Your Daily Calorie Needs is 2627.56

Your Daily Calorie Needs is the number of calories you would need to maintain your current weight, if you stick with the amount of exercise you're doing.

So, multiply your daily calorie needs by 7 to get your weekly calorie needs, = 18392.92
    Subtract 3500 from that for every pound you want to lose each week.
    So, say you want to lose 2lbs a week, you'd subtract 7000.
    So, 18392.92 - 7000 = 11392.92
    Divide this by 7 to get your daily calories again, and you get roughly 1627 calories each day. Theoretically, from that you'd lose 2lbs each week.

Hope that helps!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 50 lbs to lose, you're probably going to want to set your goal to 1.5lbs a week tops. Once you don't have as much to lose, it's better to lose it slower!
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    thank you for this!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 5'7, stay at home mom. MFP said for me to eat 1200 a day, found that I was starving all the time with that. Bumped my calories to 1350 so I eat that and occasionally dip into my exercise calories but try not to. I've been losing at least a pound weekly. Also I exercise 6 days a week for 30 minutes minimum.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    1600-1700 per day and eat back at least half of your dedicated exercise cals.

In case you're wondering where I arrived at those numbers, it's (Harris Benedict BMR x 1.2) - 15-20%
  • chunkychick10
    chunkychick10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wonder can someone help me with mine too please? I currently weigh 312lbs, would like to loose as much as possible within the next 12 weeks.
    I am 29 years old
    not very active, my job has me on my feet for 4 hours , 3 days a week.
    I intend to walk the dog every day for at least 30 mins but at a slow/ normal pace.
    Thanks for any help
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My god thats so many more than i currently have.

I got fat by never exercising and eating what i wanted as and when i wanted.

I want to eat healthily so i think i'm going to cut back on the lowest calorie options and add some fruit and yoghurts etc.... i dont feel hungry at the moment but i dont want to do myself out of decent weightloss in the future with my good intentions now lol
  • Rubester13
    Rubester13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the explanation!!! :-)
  • Rubester13
    Rubester13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose about 1.5 lbs a week, but I am realizing that it's best to pay more attention to the body changes than what it says on the scale :-)
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This REALLY helps. Thank you x
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 24 5'7, stay at home mom. MFP said for me to eat 1200 a day, found that I was starving all the time with that. Bumped my calories to 1350 so I eat that and occasionally dip into my exercise calories but try not to. I've been losing at least a pound weekly. Also I exercise 6 days a week for 30 minutes minimum.

wow, MFP says I can have 1350/day, and I'm almost always below that, yet i'm satisfied. I eat a lot of fresh fruit, which is quite filling, and I also eat huge salads with most meals. I have found that I don't get hungry as often as I did BEFORE MFP when my sole diet was junk, junk, and more junk. I have a very small budget to work with, so lettuce, onions, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc go a long way for very few $.
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I wonder can someone help me with mine too please? I currently weigh 312lbs, would like to loose as much as possible within the next 12 weeks.
    I am 29 years old
    not very active, my job has me on my feet for 4 hours , 3 days a week.
    I intend to walk the dog every day for at least 30 mins but at a slow/ normal pace.
    Thanks for any help

What's your height?
  • chunkychick10
    chunkychick10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    5ft 3in (160cm)