bmr and tdee

Options
Ok so i no this has been asked loads before (so please don't shout at me) . But i am confused about the whole bmr and tdee and my head hurts.

My bmr is 1796 and my tdee is 2774. I based this on moderate exercise. I exercise 7 days a week but put in for 3-5 days as i would say that is how many days i work hard.

So bmr is what my body burns daily if i stayed in bed all day , is that right?

What does tdee mean and what i am meant to do with this information. I am eating around 1400 calories a day on average. Sometimes slightly more or slightly less. I do some form of exercise daily. I seem to get in the habit where i do well for 2 weeks and lose weight and then week 3 things slow down and i give up only to restart again. I really wanna do this now and i am in the right frame of mind. But all this confuses me. I thought it was as simple as calories in calories out. Am i eating enough??

Sorry again for the repeat in question

Replies

• turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    tdee gives you a more accurate view of how many calories you need each day, because it takes into account both your BMR and your activity level. In essence, it is the number of calories you would need each day to maintain your current weight.
    So by eating 1400 calories, you're creating a deficit of 1374 calories per day, which totals to 9618 per week. Theoretically, from this deficit you would lose just under 3lbs a week.
    If you're getting to week 3 and struggling, maybe you could up your calories for a while until you feel you're back into it again. Upping to around 1600 will still see a deficit large enough to theoretically drop 2lbs each week, but hopefully keep your sanity intact too! In fact you could go up to 1700 if you wanted.
    Hope that helps!
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    by struggling i dont mean what i am eating. I am always full and feel satisfied. I mean that my weight loss seems to stop. but i have never seen week 4 to no if its just a blip . I am measuring this time so i can track that as well. I feel to scared to up my calories.
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Eating the right things. It's fine to stay in your calorie goal, but if you're not eating healthily as well then the weight loss will slow down. What kind of workouts are you doing?
    Has your weight loss completely stopped, or is it just a LOT slower than before?
    Lots of people hit a plateau at week 2 or 3 by the way, I think it's something to do with the body reacting to the changes being put on it.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    MFP pal Anewlucia started the group EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS ....I copied and pasted this information below from one of her threads that may helpful.

You can get your bmr and tdee number from here :http://www.scoobyworkshop.com/calculators

What is BMR? Your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories) expended by the body to remain in bed all day!

What is TDEE? TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR; in fact, you need your BMR to calculate your TDEE; but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation. Basically, the TDEE calculation relies on categorizing your daily activity into one of the metrics' predetermined groupings:

Sedentary - desk job and little to no exercise Lightly Active - light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk Moderately Active - moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk (****SIDE NOTE - even if you have a desk job most people fit right here when you workout 3-5 days a week) Very Active - hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk Extremely Active - hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or training Once you have determined where you fit in on the TDEE activity rate scale, this activity rate is used to weight your BMR giving you a more accurate assessment of how many calories you really need throughout the course of the day.

Here is a link to a site that you plug in your information and it will provide your BMR and TDEE along with your Cut value (again, if you workout 3-5 times a week select "Moderate" and the "Select Your Goal" option you will select is "Lose Fat - 15% caloric reduction.

So now, you should have your BMR, TDEE, and Cut Value (TDEE - 15%)

Here is a video that talks about this in great detail that hopefully will clear up any questions you may have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY&feature=g-all-u

If TDEE is figured out correctly, then exercise cals don't *have* to be eaten back because, technically, TDEE figures them in. The underlying factor here, is that most people underestimate their activity levels, (for fear of being told to eat "too much") and then proceed to under eat. If a person is burning 1000 cals/day in exercise, then that should be figured into their TDEE, meaning their TDEE should be AT LEAST 1000 cals more than their BMR. If this is not the case then they are undercutting themselves on the cals. So a person w/a BMR of 1300, that puts up 1000 cal burns should have come up w/a TDEE calculation of 2400 or more. So any situation where a person is not getting those calculations, they should be eating back some of those exercise cals.

So if you come up w/BMR=1300, TDEE=1800, you need to either A)eat back some cals, or B) recalculate your TDEE to include the *actual* burns that you're getting.

So to cut using *true* TDEE figures, you'd just eat a flat TDEE (-15%), as long as TDEE is correct. It should be fine. But if you are using MFP's calculations, or are not getting a TDEE that includes the amount you burn each day *plus* BMR, you need to eat back some exercise cals.
  • swtbabybluez
    Options
    Help not understanding this net calories thing did not take in enough calories yesterday, please help with what all this means
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Well i am only a few days in to week 3 and i probably should not of peaked yet. But everytime i hit week 3 i stop losing. But before now i have always given up. It keeps playing on my mind that maybe i need to eat more. But i am not much of a cook so i am a bit stuck there. I probably need to give it a bit longer before i work out if i am in fact not losing. I just feel a bit panicked that i am doing it all wrong. You just hear of people who stick at 1200 calories and lose weight and i eat more than that and stall. My exericise i run every other day (i am new to this so go slow but i am out the house for 40 minutes inc a warm up walk and a cool down one. I run for 30 minutes straight now. I also in the house do 30 day shred (not daily) i do wii fit /just dance/ you tube video ect. I try and do an hour a day and in that hour i try and make 30 minute cardio and then the rest i do strength and toning. I eat cerial for breaky and then i have plate loaded with vegies or salad . for lunch generally i have ryvita or crisp bread or similar and for tea chicken and potato (which i weight). Snacks i vary but have fruit or yoghurts or fruit bars. And all i drunk is water with the odd glass of sqaush . i have a bottle with me all the time and i drunk it often
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hey @2BeHealthy4Life, how is the weight loss going? I still remember your last insightful post about eating more and losing more. Did you make further progress since?
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Maybe i will finish the week off and then next week up my calories by 200 but keep all else the same
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Been reading more and starting to get it. I think for rest of this week i will stick at my 1400 calories then next week will up to 1600 calories for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Thanks for all your help
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine if you up your cals to 1600, in fact I recommend trying it, it might even help you lose more.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I think i will and after asking my other question on times people eat i may add a snack in after tea as well (small one)