Am I ready for a 10K?

Options
yarmiah
yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
So, I've done well, getting healthy and fitter than ever and lost @25lbs in the process.

I have already completed two 5K's, and did a WarriorDash last month.

I want to remain challenged and find an attainable goal to shoot for next and am considering a 10K trail run.

But the thing is . . . . I really don't like running! lol While I completed the 5K's with a respectable time (@32 minutes),
I'm pretty much pooped at the very end of the race- the finish line seeming to come just in the nick of time.

Is attempting to go double the distance on an unpaved trail a good idea for a challenge or too much? If no, any other suggestions for another goal to reach for?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    So you don't like it but you want to continue? I would say choose a challenge you enjoy vs. one you don't

FYI: I don't LIKE 5ks - I find them quite painful. I would rather do a mid distance race any day.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No, if you don't even like running and the 5K's felt like a ton of effort, you are not ready for a 10K. Find something you like doing!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    10k is easily within reach. You need to start lengthening one of of your runs each week and work your way up to a minimum of 6 miles and preferably 8 miles. Each week add 1/2 to 1 mile to your long run and you'll be ready for 10k. An added benefit is that once your runs get past 6 miles those 5ks will be much easier and faster.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just did a 10k race 2 weeks ago it was hard (for me) but at the end i enjoyed it

Make shure you build your distance up to 10k and then do a few runs beyond 10k say 14 to 18 k a week before i did 14k then mid week did a 5k and then the race

im now hooked to running in a bizarre way as i had never run until January this year
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do a 10k if you don't like running? Is there something else that you do enjoy?

However, a 10k is a reasonable goal if you wanted to do it, depending on how much time you have to get ready. And trail runs can actually be quite nice, and mentally easier than a road race. You just have to watch your footing, but that can be a nice distractionf from thinking about how tired you are. When is the race? How much time do you have to train?

Another option is a sprint triathlon. I know, sounds like a lot, but really quite reasonable. Depending on your level of fitness, a late summer/early fall tri might be possible. Or get a couple of friends together and do one as a relay team. You could train for either the bike or the swim to have a goal other than running.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're totally ready. I'm a terrible terrible terrible runner, but once I was able to do a 5k going for a 10k was pretty easy. It was so much harder for me to get to the 5k distance than to keep going the extra 3+ miles.

I'm like you, in that I also hate running. But the sense of accomplishment was HUGE. It was just an awesome day in my life. And the high water mark for my running career. Had no desire to keep running as part of my regimen and darn sure wasn't going to prep for a marathon.

I say do it, cross it off the bucket list, and find an activity you enjoy. And congrats on your progress so far!
  • cosafea
    cosafea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you do your training runs for the 10K on a trail? Trail-running is usually more challenging than road-running, but many people find it more rewarding and enjoyable (and prettier).

If you really dislike running no matter where or how long you're doing it, I'd say find another activity stat before you lose momentum!

And there's no reason you can't run 20 solid minutes here and there to help maintain endurance and cardio fitness, but you don't have to make running your main form of exercise, and you certainly don't need to sign up for races if they're not a good fit for you.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm not thrilled with running, but after doing a few 5K's I did a 10K. I may never do another one, but I am glad I did one of them.

If they have decent shirts for the race, go for it.....that's my new criteria :laugh:
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

If they have decent shirts for the race, go for it.....that's my new criteria :laugh:

:laugh:
    awesome!
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    I don't like running either (hate it actually), but I'm stubborn and wanted to get a couple check marks on my bucket list. I ran a 10k a couple of years ago with not much training ahead of time, and all of it on the treadmill. I just signed up for a half marathon after not running since the 10K (2 years ago). If you have already done a couple 5Ks you'll be fine, you're on the right track. Just make sure that you're training on trails so you know what you're in for.
    What a bunch of crazies, signing up for races in sports they don't even like :)
  • yarmiah
    Options
    I'm not thrilled with running, but after doing a few 5K's I did a 10K. I may never do another one, but I am glad I did one of them.

For $10, they will upgrade the cheesy t-shirt for an UnderArmor one 8)
  • yarmiah
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and suggestions.

I am leaning toward signing up- it's not until September so I have a little more time to consider(or back out lol!)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and suggestions.

I am leaning toward signing up- it's not until September so I have a little more time to consider(or back out lol!)

Registrations are usually non-refundable....so sign up for the good shirt, do this one, and cross it off your bucket list :smile: