workout in the morning compared to the afternoon?

Options
I usually put off getting on the treadmill until 2 pm or later. I have found that I feel so much better after I exercise so I should really make myself do it earlier. Im wondering, is it better for my metabolism to do it earlier than later? Or any other benefits of morn vs afternoon?
THanks in advance!!

Replies

• JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I feel more accomplished when I get up in the morning to workout.

I burn more calories in the afternoon (per HRM) doing the same workout.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    the benefit for me is in the morning...1. i get it done before the children awake...2. i get it done and out of the way...3.it sets the tone for the day( full of energy) 4. i no longer have to talk myself into it....i like it now! when i was doing it in the afternoon i was skipping, being lazy about it! now i'm using my first energy on me!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think it's always best to do when you can get it done. I have read that you are more flexible at certain times of the day, which would make more sense. Your cortisol levels rise and fall through the day depending on the time of the day and stress factors too, so that could have some effect.

Personally, I work out in the AM - first thing - so that nothing else gets in my way and I have the time to get it done. I will get a second workout in at my lunch hour if I don't have other commitments. But if I'm going to work out in the evening, I try to skip heavy cardio, stick with weights or yoga as I get a little hyped up from cardio.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    For me working out in the morning helps me get my blood pumping for the day. If I wait until after work, I will usually have an excuse not to work out.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I find that I HAVE to have my morning walk, it really wakes me up and gets me going for the day. I don't drink real coffee anymore, I can only have decaf due to my heart condition, and I find that a fast walk first thing in the morning gives me the same pep in my step that coffee used to give me.
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    I have heard, and read(although not sure if it's true), that cardio should be done before your first meal of the day. The reasoning is that your body will be burning fat for energy instead of having to burn off any carbs first, then fat.

Personally I go first thing in the morning because I KNOW that if I wait until after work I will make 10,000 excuses to not go.
  • rberry89
    rberry89 Posts: 15
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the morning. I may be tired nut if I dont go to the gym un the mornjng then I wont go at all that day. Plus there are set times on when I can go because since the daycare hours are weird. Plus working out in the morning makes my day go by much smoother.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    For me working out in the morning helps me get my blood pumping for the day. If I wait until after work, I will usually have an excuse not to work out.

I'm the exact same way. If I go to bed at a decent time and get up nice and early and take my dog for a walk/jog... I'm wide awake and alert by the time I hit work in the morning.

I notice on days that I don't do this routine... I'm a bit more sluggish... and I hit a point in the afternoon when I'm ready for a nap. I think getting enough sleep at night makes a big difference too.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Working out in the morning also helps me know how many calories I have to play with for the rest of the day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The morning gets me in a great mood for the day plus I don't get to run into any of the excuses that life will hand you later in the day. But as long as you're getting your workout done, go at the time that works best for you. I know a lot of people that like to workout later because it relieves the stress of the day. To each their own.
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For me it has to be the morning. I just cant get motivated if i leave it too long, i always find myself sidetracked by the ironing or other mundane jobs!! So i get the kids off to school and pre-school and head to the gym. :happy:
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have rotating work hours, so half of my workouts are in the morning and the other half are in the late afternoon/early evening. I find when I work out in the morning I have low energy and endurance, compared to my evening workouts. I actually dread having to work out in the morning time now.
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I already have to get up at 5:00. If I wanted to work out, I'd have to get up at 3:30 to get my full work out in. I work out after 6. After I get home from work, after I feed the family, and get them all settled with homework and the like. It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of when I can get it in. Sometimes I don't get it in until 10pm. Sometimes I have to really push myself to do it, but somehow I manage.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I workout in the afternoon. I can not get up and go to the gym first thing. I don't have the endurance. When I go at about 3/4 in the afternoon I have a lot more energy.
  • mel5989
    mel5989 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Im also thinking if I work out in the morning, I might squeeze another one in later in the day.. Which means another shower for the day!! lol