Heart Rate Monitor Watches

esp331
esp331 Posts: 13
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All!

I am interested in purchasing a Heart Rate Montior watch, preferably under $75, but I'm not sure which one to get. I have pretty small wrists (6 in around) so I want one that won't be too bulky. As far as chest straps go, I guess I wouldn't mind one that is pretty comfortable, only because I have read that the strapless watches won't read unless you're standing still.

Has anyone tried out different watches? Are there any that you love?

Thanks!

Replies

• esp331
    esp331 Posts: 13
    Hi All!

I am interested in purchasing a Heart Rate Montior watch, preferably under $75, but I'm not sure which one to get. I have pretty small wrists (6 in around) so I want one that won't be too bulky. As far as chest straps go, I guess I wouldn't mind one that is pretty comfortable, only because I have read that the strapless watches won't read unless you're standing still.

Thanks!
  • I love mine - it was about 50 bucks. By Miro. Input weight, gender, resting heart rate, age, etc. It calculates pretty accurately. Its rather large and bulky and I have six inch wrists as well... but Ive gotten used to it - I generally only wear it at the gym - although, I do wear it about once a week just to see how many calories I burn during the course of my day. When I do that I check my heart rate about every hour...
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I got my at K-mart for $40.00 (it was on sale)....It works fine...

dd
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    I purchased one on-line yesterday. It's a Polar F4 for women. It was $88, and it had a lot of interesting features. I can't wait to get it.
  • leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    I would recommend the Polar F11, it retails for $179.99. It comes with the most comfortable strap on the market. It is the wearlink31. It is made of a fabric material instead of hard plastic.

If you are getting a HR monitor, DO NOT get one without a strap. It would be a complete waste of time and money. Strapless monitors are tested to be accurate within 10-12 beats per minute, whereas, straps are within 1 beat of an EKG.

If you are interested in the F11, check out www.polarusa.com and ebay. You can find better prices. $180 might seem like a lot but it will last you a long time and have all of the features you may ever want. Also, with the upgraded strap, you can replace the battery without having to send back to manufacturer.

Best of Luck, let me know if you can help!
  • leshik21
    Let me clarify my last post. I didn't mean to say strapless is a total waste. I would say it is a good reference for your workouts BUT if you are looking for accurate calorie burn and exertion levels, it helps to be as precise as possible. And, with the strap, if you belong to a gym or have equipment of your own, it is compatible with any machine that has HR capability (which is most).

Did not mean to come off harsh or like a know-it-all. I just happen to work in the industry and am passionate about it.

Good Luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Hey, about the Polar F11, which I'm seriously considering. . .

Does it measure calories burned while stationary cycling? My exercise is primarily eliptical and spinning, and I don't want to spend my money if it doesn't have this feature. (I've heard some heart monitors don't).

Although the heart monitoring is a feature I want, I'm really after something that shows calorie burned throughout the day.

Also, this does allow you to replace your own battery? Or do you have to upgrade (pay more) for a different strap?

Please help.

And no, you didn't sound harsh. You sounded like you knew what you were talking about.
    I love opinionated people!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Hey, about the Polar F11, which I'm seriously considering. . .

Does it measure calories burned while stationary cycling? My exercise is primarily eliptical and spinning, and I don't want to spend my money if it doesn't have this feature. (I've heard some heart monitors don't).

Although the heart monitoring is a feature I want, I'm really after something that shows calorie burned throughout the day.

Also, this does allow you to replace your own battery? Or do you have to upgrade (pay more) for a different strap?

Please help.

And no, you didn't sound harsh. You sounded like you knew what you were talking about.
    I love opinionated people!

Hey, I have the F11 and I LOVE it :D
    It includes a telemetry strap and calculates calories burned through HR (and some other factors). It is accurate within -+15%. It doesn't matter if you're moving your arms or not.
    You can replace the strap battery, but the watch batter has to be replaced by the company. You just send it in, and it comes with a multi-year warranty. Mine was $160 though, not $180.
  • lotusfromthemud
    So, I can wear it to spinning? And it will tell me how many calories I'm actually burning?

Or, I can just wear it all day one day, and it will tell me how many calories I'm burning?

OOOOOOH, very, very excited now.

One more thing. . .do you have any info on how long the battery lasts?

But, I think. . .WANT!:flowerforyou:
  • I have a polar F6 heart rate monitor, I got it at Sport Authority for 109.00. I know it's over the price you are shooting for, but it is an amazing watch. It comes with the heart rate monitor and is totally personalized to you. It tells you how many calories you've burned, how much percent fat, how long you were in your target heart rate zone, and how long your session was for. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. and by paying that much for it i'm force to work out so I don't feel guilty for spending 109 dollars on a watch. I got it in pink and it's not bulky at all, so you can wear it even when your not exercising. Consider it while your shopping around.
  • Okay, can someone please help me out here? What's the difference between the Polar F6 and Polar F11? (Besides the price and possibly color choices :tongue: )

I'm also considering a heart rate monitor but don't want to over buy for my needs.

Thanks
    :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    I think the F6 doesn't have a chest strap. (but I'm not sure. . .)
  • I think the F6 doesn't have a chest strap. (but I'm not sure. . .)

Oh.... that could be a problem. Thanks!

Anyone else?
  • I have the Womens Polar F4f in Berry (red). I have been using it for several months and I love it! It is small and not bulky. It comes with a chest strap that I find totally comfortable. It has lots of features but isn't overwhelming. It cost $89.95 with free shipping from a great internet store:

http://www.bodytronics.com/CTGY/Heartrate_Monitors

The only advice I have is to not wear the chest band with an underwire exercise bra! It will scramble the signals if it gets too close:laugh: This advice is not in the literature but I found it to be true from experience!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Is anyone for sure on the difference between F6 & F11?

Also, isn't there another way to calculate calories burned (without the helpful watches)? By this I mean, take your average hr during a workout and put it into a chart?

Thanks,

Mary
  • lotusfromthemud
    http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/productfinder/productfinder.asp

Here's the website that I'm still trying to muddle through. There's a pretty good comparison feature.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out how "active" I am in my daily life. Now that I'm after lowering my body fat percentage, I'm trying to be very scientific. (not my character, I assure you)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I saw that, but they seemed the same. The only difference being the changeable battery in the transmitter belt (chest strap, I assume?).
  • Hi All!

Thanks!

i think "polar" brand is great. if you can find one of that brand in your price range thats the way to go.
  • leshik21
    The F11 comes with the better strap that you can replace the battery yourself. And, if does count calories however you would like. If you leave it on all day, it will keep a running cal burn rate based on age, sex, weight, heart rate, etc.

I think it has everything you are looking for.
  • leshik21
    That is true. The watch battery has to be replaced by polar. The batteries typically last 2-3 years. Keep in mind, that depending where you buy it, they may have old inventory.
This discussion has been closed.