Walking indoors vs walking outdoors

Options
If you are walking at the same pace for indoors or outdoors, do you lose the same amount of calories?

Replies

• NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    depends on the gradient you are walking aswell, i guess if all other things were constant you would burn the same however outside is much nicer and you get the fresh air, i actually went for a walk after dinner and it was lovely outside :)
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to walk outside because you cant "turn off" your walk. If you get tired, you gotta turn around and walk the same distance! A treadmill is too easy to jump off of. ;)
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to walk at the same pace. I find I walk faster on the treadmill as you have to keep up with the belt.
  • rayita001
    rayita001 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I live in the country and there are no sidewalks and there are a lot of loose dogs out. So this week I have been dropping off my older daughter at camp and taking my little one (3mon) with me to walk around a local activity center. Not outdoors in the 100*+ weather! Other days I just do workout videos at home.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    It's probably comparable calorie-wise but I much prefer to walk outside. Having said that, I am currently doing all my walking indoors thanks to the 105-113 degree weather we've had lately. It feels like walking in a convection oven outside right now so I'm inside until fall.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find I burn less inside. I walk a walking bridge everyday so I have some resistance with the incline as well as the weather (usually more wind at the top of the bridge). When I walk inside at work even doing stairs I don't seem to burn as much or as well.