The 5K that almost wasn't

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
A few weeks ago I registered for a 5K for tonight at 7pm (about 90 mins ago as I type).

I got home from work around 4:45pm, got some dinner, and relaxed while waiting. I planned to leave the house about 5:45ish to get to registration around 6:15 (due to traffic thru town) and have plenty of time to relax and get ready for the start.

So I'm all dressed in my race gear, watching the clock......it's 30 minutes after the hour and my daughter suddenly says "Mom, it's SIX thirty!". OH *kitten*!!

I grab my iPod and inhaler, we jump in the car, and gun it to the race. At 8 minutes before the race I can only get within 2.5 blocks of the start, due to closed roads, and I haven't registered yet (and don't know where registration is located).

I found the last spot in a parking lot, threw the keys at my daughter, sprinted the 2.5 blocks towards the starting line, and found the water table for after the race. "I'm late! Where is registration??". They pointed around the corner, down an alley, across a parking lot, into the library and down the stairs. Holy crap!

So off I sprinted to registration, and had 4 minutes to go. The registration lady helped me get my chip timer on my shoe and pointed me toward the bathroom. Ran to the bathroom while pinning my number on my shirt, then back up the stairs, across the parking lot, thru the alley (the clock tower started chiming the top of the hour!!), and towards the start line.

Fortunately my daughter was right there do I could give her my goodie bag and I hopped into the crowd. I literally had like 20 seconds before they started the race, but because there were a lot of people, and I was near the back, I had a short walk up to the starting line to catch my breath before I started.

HOLY HELL. not my best time (31:45 I think....I don't know since I forgot my watch but was wearing my HRM chest strap - ugh), but I got a bit of a workout in before I even started!

Not a workout I'd recommend, but I'm so making up a cool exercise for this one!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would have been a basket case. I arrive at LEAST two hours before the start of a race. Running that late, I would have just bagged it. Good for you getting there and getting it done.
  • Tiffysinsanity
    Tiffysinsanity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lol. that's great! way to go. I think that's a great time too!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I would have been a basket case. I arrive at LEAST two hours before the start of a race. Running that late, I would have just bagged it. Good for you getting there and getting it done.

Trust me, I was anything but calm driving there. Pretty sure I bent the speed limit and may have gone thru a very yellow light.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Wow, Joolie!! Talk about cutting it fine! :smile:

I'm glad you made it in time to register.

Congrats!! :drinker:
  • Sarahrachael82
    Sarahrachael82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is MOTIVATION!!!! I would've totally panicked and not registered, so GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Props for all that gunning about before getting to the starting line.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had a dream I was running late for a 5K and had to run it in jeans and work boots...I woke up in a cold sweat...I would have bagged it too...I am OCD about 5K...at least and hour early with 30 minutes devoted to rumble rolling and stretching and another 15 dedicated to walking and warm up...good for you for being stubborn and making it happen!
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Awesome for making every effort to make it to the 5K!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Holy crap... That is my worst nightmare!!! Glad you got there with a few seconds to spare!!!
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great job for doing it!!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    As a follow up, I found out my chip time was 30:26, much better than I thought given the craziness before the race. :smile: