Mixing Cardio & Strength Training

Options
Hi All,

So I'm 5 11, 194 down from 247, 19% body fat. To date my work outs vary from day to day between stairmaster, eliptical, Mt biking, walking, and weights.

My weight routine has been more about burning fat than muscle development: Lifts designed to use full body muscle groups, big muscles that expend a lot of energy, with super sets and very little rest between sets, when I'm done I just drenched. I'm taking the week off from lifting to get some rest in. In a few days I'm going to change the routine. Rather than full body work, I'm going to alternate upperbody and lowerbody on different days with a day of between the two, so each half of my body will have 3 days rest. Reps and sets will vary each work out from 5x5 to 3x15 and 4x10.

So my question is: what is the best way to mix in cardio (at 19% BF I still want to burn fat). I've read research that the most beneficial mix to avoid the cardio interfering with muscle growth is to do it on the same day as the lift, rather than on the off day. I'm just curious what others experience with this is?

Eric

Replies

• graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I usally do cardio immediately after I do strength training, which is about 3 times a week, and on 3 other days I do only cardio. So far that has been working out to my advantage.