A New Diet Study

Options
A new study suggests that aiming for low glycemic index diet may be the best choice.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Yay, another diet study!

Sorry, was that out loud?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for new fad diets ... I'm on the latest one right now (sounds crazy I know) ... basically it's 2 steps.

1) Eat less junk and more good food
    2) Run

So far it seems to be paying off ... I'm a bandwagon kinda guy I suppose ...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! I like HisPathDaily's "diet"...it's these "diets" that keep ppl heavy and keep 'em coming back for more. Whenever I hear the word "diet" anymore I just wanna scream "STOP THE INSANITY!!"
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A new study suggests that aiming for low glycemic index diet may be the best choice.

Thanks for sharing. If anyone has the original study I'd like to see it, but they didn't isolate macronutrients in the study so that by itself isn't an ideal way to determine whether the degree of processing effects weight loss. Overall, I didn't agree with this article entirely, but thanks for posting.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for new fad diets ... I'm on the latest one right now (sounds crazy I know) ... basically it's 2 steps.

2) Run

Dang, english isn't my first language and I always thought it was "Run towards junk food and then more food". NOW I know why I got into this round shape o mine
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! I like HisPathDaily's "diet"...it's these "diets" that keep ppl heavy and keep 'em coming back for more. Whenever I hear the word "diet" anymore I just wanna scream "STOP THE INSANITY!!"

Great words to read for somebody who started doing "Insanity" just today :(

Meanie :(
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also thought that perhaps eating REALLY fast would help ... as the intense chewing motion would surely kick me into anaerobic levels ... but no such luck *sigh* ...

2) Run

Dang, english isn't my first language and I always thought it was "Run towards junk food and then more food". NOW I know why I got into this round shape o mine
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing. If anyone has the original study I'd like to see it, but they didn't isolate macronutrients in the study so that by itself isn't an ideal way to determine whether the degree of processing effects weight loss. Overall, I didn't agree with this article entirely, but thanks for posting.

It isn't behind a pay wall: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Working for me so far. People need to do whatever works for them.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much how I ate and lost the weight. No pre made processed foods!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that theory has been around for a long time...Not exactly "new"...
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bored out reading the whole thing but i do get the concept of the low glycemic 'eating' (notice i hate the word diet!) however it doesn't work for, like everything else. i do know that a big market for this is ppl with diabetic or 'diabetic type' illnesses (pcos induced insulin resistance)
    otherwise, i like the 'everything in moderation' diet, it means i still get to eat oreos!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think calories matter, but I have cut out many processed foods and my blood work is great. (well besides my iron levels...)
  • GardenFolly
    Options
    I have been reading about this. Atkins will blow your kidney's out!! Get rid of white (they didn't call it 'white death' for no reason) add complex carbohydrates, nuts, basically anything that takes a long time to process.
    The reason I know is ... that it is how I gained the weight! My husband cooks, has been the same (thin) weight since the time we got together, and has a penchant for white bread, sugary treats, etc. I am the opposite. Bread always lived in my freezer because I never ate it. I knew I had a sugar habit, so only ate it while being mindful it is a treat.
    I come from hearty stock with genetic hemochromatosis!! We were made for feast or famine and Monty Pythonesque (loss of Limbs and big bleeds) fighting!!! Also heard today that we need to eat more dirt ... sounds good, sure beats crow!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yay, another study that doesn't control for thermic effect of food! Yes sugar has a lower TEF than broccoli... that's some fine science there Lou.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yay, another study that doesn't control for thermic effect of food! Yes sugar has a lower TEF than broccoli... that's some fine science there Lou.

Actually, it did.

"Because the thermic effect of food tends to be greater for carbohydrate than fat,24 - 25 it would also not explain the lower TEE on the low-fat diet. Although protein has a high thermic effect of food,16 the content of this macronutrient was the same for the low-fat and low–glycemic index diets and contributed only 10% more to total energy intake with the very low-carbohydrate diet compared with the other 2 diets."
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    bored out reading the whole thing but i do get the concept of the low glycemic 'eating' (notice i hate the word diet!) however it doesn't work for, like everything else. i do know that a big market for this is ppl with diabetic or 'diabetic type' illnesses (pcos induced insulin resistance)
    otherwise, i like the 'everything in moderation' diet, it means i still get to eat oreos!!

I have PCOS (with the insulin resistance), and I never really thought of my diet as low glycemic, but I guess it is. I haven't given up everything though. I eat a couple of oreos every month ;) However, I noticed that my desire for ultra-sugary things substantially went down after the first two months of cleaner eating.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Actually, it did.

"Because the thermic effect of food tends to be greater for carbohydrate than fat,24 - 25 it would also not explain the lower TEE on the low-fat diet. Although protein has a high thermic effect of food,16 the content of this macronutrient was the same for the low-fat and low–glycemic index diets and contributed only 10% more to total energy intake with the very low-carbohydrate diet compared with the other 2 diets."
    TEF for different types of carbohydrate sources I. E. "refined" vs "whole"
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    TEF for different types of carbohydrate sources I. E. "refined" vs "whole"
    The first obstruction to looking at that would be to get a definition of the terms. I look forward to someone explaining to me how refined sugar (pure sucrose) is manifestly different to raw sugar (99.4 % sucrose) with any statistical validity.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yay, another diet study!

Sorry, was that out loud?

So true