New to any type of running!

Options
Hello, so I am not new to the boards or MFP but I am new to working out on a steady schedule. I decided yesterday at my second work out (with my friends who is a runner) that I want to be one too. Back before when I was on a "weight loss trek" I would walk 2.5 mph on the tread mill and maybe "run" at 4.0 mp. Yesterday I walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.0 for a total of three minutes in 60 minutes (BABY STEPS). Today I pushed myself, I wanted to do 4 minutes...so I did it. I was jut putting lotion on my legs and saw that I have a few small, un painful bruises. One directly under my right knee cap, as well as one on my left calf, as well as one on my thigh. Is this normal? I mean it's only 4 minutes...I hate to think what my legs will look like when in a few months I make it up to 10 straight or even 20 (cause I will probably end up pushing myself to do that).

Sorry, long winded, but just wondering.

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    maybe you should get that checked out...it could be thin blood?? causing the bruising...im a new runner and ive never had that experience before.
  • Jjw1125
    Jjw1125 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something that should be taken to a doctor to get some tests run. The bruising could be caused by several different things. Just one that comes to mind is Anemia. I have heard of extreme exertion on the legs causing blood vessels to tear and bleed into the muscle tissue. So that could be it too. Best to just go to a doctor to be safe though.

Josh
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd agree that you should check that out with a doctor before you get into running any more.
    Once you get the go-ahead, check out C25K or one of the other programs that gives you a guide through gradually increasing your run/walk intervals until you can run comfortably for 30 mins or even more!