Addictions

Options
I read the post about "husbands that sabotage" and it led me to these thoughts.....If a drug addict, a smoker, an alcoholic or any addict wants to stop their addiction their support group rallies around them and supports their efforts. The last thing one would expect their support group to do is offer the addict their addiction. I find it interesting that food addiction is not viewed the same way as other addictions. The food addict is trying to make a lifestyle change and their spouse is still eating unhealthy, co-workers bring in junk-food, etc. The food addict feels that they don't have a support team to help them on their weight loss journey. (maybe that's why we love MFP so much!) I think we all have a story, but here is one of many that comes to mind. My mother-in-law brought over a cake for our family, and (gulp) I politely turned it down. She was very offended by this because she was "trying to be nice." Would she have offered a cigarette to someone trying to quit? A drink? A crack pipe? We are changing the way we eat and are living a healthier lifestyle. Why be offended? My sister suggested that I should have taken the cake and threw it in the garbage and she would have never known. I thought of this scenario also-but I'm a food addict so I would have eaten the whole cake before I reached the garbage. :laugh: So I felt like I had to say no-my baby steps-in trying to conquer my battle over food addiction. I understand the flip side that this is the world we live in. It's surrounded by food and we need willpower. I'm just fascinated by how others view food addiction different from other addictions.
PS My husband eats what I eat, watches the children while I exercise, and has been wonderful and I'm thankful for his support. :love:

Replies

• kimberjones
    Options
    Well your mother-in-law probably mistook your desire to not eat the cake as a rejection of her love and hospitality. I hope that, if you explain it to her, she will understand and the offense will be forgiven. If not, just make sure you share your concerns/confusion with your husband and just move forward being grateful that you had the self control to turn the cake down. I applaud you for that! Keep your chin up. I agree with what you said about addictions - though mine was more of an emotional/spiritual thing and not, necessarily, an addiction. Once I realized that I was eating to complete emotions or eating instead of trusting in the Lord it seemed like all of a sudden I was free! Hallelujah!

I hope resolution comes to your family!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my mother-in-law did understand after I explained it to her. My point is why would someone offer you a whole cake when they know you are trying to lose weight?