Can't eat over 1000 calories

Options
I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just that no matter what I eat, it's just not enough calories. It's even more harder since I have to portion every single meal.

Any one else out there that have the same problem?
Help much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    what kind of stuff are you eating? try eating some calorie dense foods, such as nuts.
  • Mna808
    Mna808 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chicken, salmon, basically healthy foods like fruits and so on. And sadly I'm allergic. :cry:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a healthy amount to be eating every day.
    Try adding in some more calorie dense foods so you get more cals for the same amount of food.
    Some examples: avocado, olive oil (in salad dressing, drizzles over roast veggies etc), cheese, full fat yoghurt, red meat, bananas, sweet potato, rice, pasta etc.
  • Mna808
    Options
    Try adding in some more calorie dense foods so you get more cals for the same amount of food.
    Some examples: avocado, olive oil (in salad dressing, drizzles over roast veggies etc), cheese, full fat yoghurt, red meat, bananas, sweet potato, rice, pasta etc.
    Yeah I never feel starved, usually satisfied but I always get scared that my body will eventually start to store fat and so on. And thank you for the tip!! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way.
    i do low carb though. i just don't have an appetite.
  • DangerDiv
    DangerDiv Posts: 62
    Options
    Yeah I never feel starved, usually satisfied but I always get scared that my body will eventually start to store fat and so on. And thank you for the tip!! :)

You know what, I have the same problem some times. I'm studying for the bar and when the process began I just couldn't get myself to eat, 'cos I was too stressed out. Shakes... shakes were the answer. Don't worry, though, your healthy appetite will come back eventually. I know it's worrisome to think that you're starving, but the body understands that you will have highs and lows, just do what comes naturally and if you just don't feel like eating, then don't. No need to force your body to do something it doesn't want to. But try getting some good shakes in or even meal replacements. (I'm actually thinking of stocking up on ensure, myself, for the actual exam, cos I know I won't be able to stomach food for those 3 days, but need to keep my brain sharp.)

but yeah, give it time, girl. I'm sure in a week or 2 your body will be asking for food again.

hope this helped
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I felt like that due to a structural problem, food allergies, and a natural taste for healthy foods, and I ended up with full-on anorexia. Be careful! When I ate about 900 cals a day I was always comfortably full, but it wasn't healthy. Now I eat 2300+ per day, feel more hunger than I ever used to, and weigh only a tiny bit more! It's crazy actually.

But honestly, when hunger goes away to that extent, it means your metabolism is already starting to shut down a little bit. And it will just get worse.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    I have the same problem! I just barely got over 1000 today!
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My diary is usually 1000 or less, less more. Since I've been studying this down to a science over the last couple of months, I've found filling foods without the large amount of calories. I feel full and fine most of the time, the only times I get close is if I have eaten junk food that day, not often though. You will probably be fine. I'm still losing a pound or 2 a week with the cardio included. Who knows maybe I could lose more if I ate more cals. Just not ready to do that yet. Good luck!
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I felt like that due to a structural problem, food allergies, and a natural taste for healthy foods, and I ended up with full-on anorexia. Be careful! When I ate about 900 cals a day I was always comfortably full, but it wasn't healthy. Now I eat 2300+ per day, feel more hunger than I ever used to, and weigh only a tiny bit more! It's crazy actually.

But honestly, when hunger goes away to that extent, it means your metabolism is already starting to shut down a little bit. And it will just get worse.

THIS! ABSOLUTELY THIS.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My advice you need counseling. This isn't a healthy lifestyle and no doctor is going to recommend you eating this few of calories and anyone that is a "friend" isn't really a friend if they at telling you it's perfectly fine to eat that few or not to eat any food and just drink shakes! That's bull**** and you're heading down a road of anorexia and you'll have a much harder time recovering from that than of you, heaven forbid, gain 5 pounds and start to look healthy. Ask any guy and they will agree, a girl with a little meat on her bones is more attractive that seeing skin and bones. You'll look healthier with a few pounds on you.

And before I get reamed, this is my opinion, take it or leave it but all these young girls eating less than their body needs to survive are headed down a dangerous path, no different than someone who is at the other extreme eating too much. And I've been there and lessons learned. If you are truly that worried, see a nutritionist, and ask their advice.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I used to have the same problem - and then I started adding low-fat sauces to things, finding calorie-dense foods, or sometimes just allowing myself a 2nd serving.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    Ask any guy and they will agree, a girl with a little meat on her bones is more attractive that seeing skin and bones. You'll look healthier with a few pounds on you.

Just going to say, don't generalize. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

If you start weightlifting you'll get a hot bod. And you'll have to eat more, because you'll be so damn hungry from working out. So try that.
  • katmariew
    Options
    My advice you need counseling. This isn't a healthy lifestyle and no doctor is going to recommend you eating this few of calories and anyone that is a "friend" isn't really a friend if they at telling you it's perfectly fine to eat that few or not to eat any food and just drink shakes! That's bull**** and you're heading down a road of anorexia and you'll have a much harder time recovering from that than of you, heaven forbid, gain 5 pounds and start to look healthy. Ask any guy and they will agree, a girl with a little meat on her bones is more attractive that seeing skin and bones. You'll look healthier with a few pounds on you.

And before I get reamed, this is my opinion, take it or leave it but all these young girls eating less than their body needs to survive are headed down a dangerous path, no different than someone who is at the other extreme eating too much. And I've been there and lessons learned. If you are truly that worried, see a nutritionist, and ask their advice.

It's awfully rude to outright accuse her of having an eating disorder and needing counseling. She mentioned food allergies. My friend has celiacs disease and her intestines are so screwed up (was diagnosed late) that it takes MUCH more food for her to gain the nutrition that she needs. She almost needs to eat twice what a normal person would eat just to survive. And yet, she's 4'10" and 85 pounds. She tries to eat calorie dense foods to make up for her deficiencies but her body is just not cooperating. Not to mention that if she eats too much, she gets sick anyways. She's always going to be tiny, and she's always going to have to work hard to shovel food down her throat just to survive. It sucks; someone may look at her and think she could have an eating disorder, but she certainly does not. She wants to eat normally, but her health prevents that.

And even if the OP had mentioned she feels she has an emotional problem with eating food, you don't need to start off with YOU NEED COUNSELING. What an insolent way to treat someone.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just that no matter what I eat, it's just not enough calories. It's even more harder since I have to portion every single meal.

Trying adding some shakes or drinks like the Bolthouse products
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea to have that few of calories. try adding some cheeses or something dense.
  • katmariew
    Options
    To the OP: You may want to get your thyroid checked; thyroid problems can wreak havoc on your metabolism. If you think you have an emotional issue that prevents you from eating more than 1000 calories, I am here to listen, and could point you to some helpful resources. But if you think this is 100% a physical health problem, you should see your primary care doctor to see if you can get some insight from them. You could be cutting out too many categories of food due to your allergies. Try to widen your selection if possible. But seek medical advice before following anything people say here!! We're not (most of us) medically trained!
  • Sayli87
    Sayli87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Trying adding some shakes or drinks like the Bolthouse products

I've had a few different bolthouse products and some of them are quite tasty. I prefer the mocha cappuccino it is high in calorie compared to others but its also got protein it.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Like I said my opinion take it or leave it. She did post this on public forum thus opening herself to everyone's opinions. And really should provide more info, what are you allergic to? Why do you have to portion your meals? And being concerned about your body beginning to store fat and only eating less than 1000 cals a day sounds like every young girl on here that is developing or already had an eating disorder. ******i am not saying that is what is wrong***** but quite a few red flags there. 1000 cals is not enough for someone to live on and if you are really worried about storing fat then you should be eating more, because the few cals you are getting your body is going to store.
  • Mna808
    Options
    To the OP: You may want to get your thyroid checked; thyroid problems can wreak havoc on your metabolism. If you think you have an emotional issue that prevents you from eating more than 1000 calories, I am here to listen, and could point you to some helpful resources. But if you think this is 100% a physical health problem, you should see your primary care doctor to see if you can get some insight from them. You could be cutting out too many categories of food due to your allergies. Try to widen your selection if possible. But seek medical advice before following anything people say here!! We're not (most of us) medically trained!
    Ah I see my metabolism used to be fast but it's been stuck recently so I'm literally worried right now. I'll see what I can do after I'm finished with my work and hopefully I can fix this. Thank you for your wonderful advice, I appreciate your help :heart: