Strength Training vs. Burning Calories

Options
I am brand new to this - my husband's co-worker lost 15 pounds since January 8 just using this website so I am excited about the help it's hopefully going to offer me.

Maybe I am entering things wrong, but last night I entered my strength training exercises and it doesn't seem to reflect any calories burned. Is this true?

Replies

• aharris14
    Options
    I am brand new to this - my husband's co-worker lost 15 pounds since January 8 just using this website so I am excited about the help it's hopefully going to offer me.

Maybe I am entering things wrong, but last night I entered my strength training exercises and it doesn't seem to reflect any calories burned. Is this true?
  • KristieT
    Options
    It doesnt' show mine either when I entere them. Not sure if there is a website that we can go to either to find out how much we burn with each exercise.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Enter your strenght training under the cardio section. It won't add the calories burned if you do it in the strength training section.

do a search for strenght training under cardio, enter your number of minutes and it will populate the calories burned.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's weird, but you have to enter strength training into the cardio spot for calories burned to show up. It's in there, just put the time you lifted and it will give you a basic calorie count.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Others same the same response I was offering, so I won't repeat. On days I don't get to my regular work out because I have way too many household chores that need caught up on, I find the calories for the chores and enter them.
  • kkylstad
    Options
    i would get a heart rate monitor watch. they can tell you how many calories you burn while working out and the fat % and more.
  • aharris14
    Options
    Maybe I am slow ... I entered the crunches under the cardio, and it automatically bumped them down to strength training.

Any other suggestions?

I like the watch idea, I might have to resort to that if I can't figure this out :frown:
  • Riki05
    Options
    Im not sure that strength training burns calories as much as it builds muscle, which is most likely why they don't show it on here. Encouraging cardio and such is the BEST way to burn calories, and the healthiest way to do so. I would focus more on that than trying to calculate your strength training.. then you can know you are getting extra.
  • crispyjones2003
    Options
    You can burn about 300 calories if you do 30 mintues of weight training, and you can burn about 450 in 30 minutes if you do circut training. But those are averages, the best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor and then do your weight training. Once you get a good calorie burn off count, enter it into the cardio section so that the journal can keep track of it.
  • leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This website might be too much info, but it gives you the most accurate calorie count I have ever seen. It is a bodybuilding website but it has a lot of useful info. Go to link below and fill out your weight, duration of workout, and it will give you cal count.

Good Luck!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm