Myfitnesspal vs OTHERS (Serious Question)

Options

Replies

• DangerDiv
    DangerDiv Posts: 62
    Options

Just wish that MFP would allow you to save exercises like you save a meal. Also wish that you could share recipes like the other website.

dude, i want a way to condense the foods on here. for example, when I make my morning crepe, i have to go in and plug in each separate ingredient (same for my ezekiel pizzas). it is SOOOO annoying. is there a way to just make it one big food? like add them together? does that make sense?
  • cataplexyfever
    Options
    Livestrong's entire site is filled with problems, glitches, and bad information. They have no credibilty with me whatsoever.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Quote: dude, i want a way to condense the foods on here. for example, when I make my morning crepe, i have to go in and plug in each separate ingredient (same for my ezekiel pizzas). it is SOOOO annoying. is there a way to just make it one big food? like add them together? does that make sense?

Create a recipe and save it :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

Just wish that MFP would allow you to save exercises like you save a meal. Also wish that you could share recipes like the other website.

dude, i want a way to condense the foods on here. for example, when I make my morning crepe, i have to go in and plug in each separate ingredient (same for my ezekiel pizzas). it is SOOOO annoying. is there a way to just make it one big food? like add them together? does that make sense?

Save it as a receipe. You can either share with all the good folks on mfp or not.
  • Twidget12
    Twidget12 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeah I like the articles on there but MFPs community is amazing. Everyone here is really down to earth, chatty, and welcoming. I can't imagine using another program for that reason alone. PLUS the bar scan on my iphone app is so convenient.

What is this bar scan for iPhone and how do I get it?!
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used the "Yellow" site for about eight months. It worked at first for three months and then nothing. I think it works basically the way MFP works, but I'm having much more success over here. For my needs at least, MFP is definitely better. I still go over there for nutrition articles though and think it's a great resource.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I left there because the food logging part was glitchy and it never got fixed!

I would say, tho, that any message board you read on the web is filled with good information and bad information.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Save it as a receipe. You can either share with all the good mfp or not.

Or save it as a meal. I have a few meals saved. Like for breakfast I have a mean that has eggs, toast, bacon, turkey, coffee, juice. I don't always eat all that but i enter the meal then simply click the - for what i didn't eat. Simple simple and I am not sure what you mean by saving exercise as I have 2 exercises saved that I use daily as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    25 y.o. male, 5'8 & 192 lbs BMR = 1956, TDEE if "very active" (BMR X 1.725) would be 3,374 for maintenance, TDEE if sedentary 2,347 & that's before building in any kind of caloric deficit. So if you're sedentary 1,300 a day would average 2lbs lost per week (I'd die of starvation at that level.....)

Something's not right with that site.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

LOL that's what I brought over from that "yellow banner" site when I used to track my calories and read the forums over there. I've seen the .5-2 lb losses being healthy on here but I think the 1% makes sense since it probably keeps you above your bmr that way. (I know you don't believe in that. Not counting calories on weight watchers and then gaining 30 lbs back after eating what I should have been eating in the first place made a believer out of me.). Truthfully I haven't done the math to see which is better but people will still want the lbs to come off fast no matter how much they have to lose so you have people with only 15 lbs or so wanting to still lose 2 lbs a week and IF that work, it won't be in any healthy way.

I have a fitbit too and go by those numbers but do A LOT of exercise to be able to eat that much since I just plain like to eat. :smile:

Oh I don't get any info from Livestrong. I agree, that site is full of garbage info. Up to 2 lbs/week is considered standard, and it's not dependent on your size.

I think it's a bit abnormal (but perfectly fine) to do a LOT of exercise in order to eat a lot, so your question on "why wouldn't everyone eat like me" kind of answers itself. I think most people would much rather skip the two hours on the treadmill and the 1000 calories of extra food, all else equal. I know I would.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Restricting your cals to 1300 for a 25 y.o. male, the weight you're losing is probably just as much lean mass as fat, which is not good. But it's your body.
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    Yeah I like the articles on there but MFPs community is amazing. Everyone here is really down to earth, chatty, and welcoming. I can't imagine using another program for that reason alone. PLUS the bar scan on my iphone app is so convenient.

What is this bar scan for iPhone and how do I get it?!

You just download the "myfitnesspal" app for your iphone. When you go to add food to your diary you'll see an option beside the search box that looks like a bar code. That's what you need to click for the bar code scanner.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Oh I don't get any info from Livestrong. I agree, that site is full of garbage info. Up to 2 lbs/week is considered standard, and it's not dependent on your size.

I think it's a bit abnormal (but perfectly fine) to do a LOT of exercise in order to eat a lot, so your question on "why wouldn't everyone eat like me" kind of answers itself. I think most people would much rather skip the two hours on the treadmill and the 1000 calories of extra food, all else equal. I know I would.

But, that 2 lb maximum *should* be dependent on size. You're talking about netting way lower than you should be just to lose faster. It's nice and motivating to lose faster but I wouldn't say it's healthier. I think it makes sense, as does going down to .5-1 lb a week on here depending on how much more you have to lose It's all a numbers game either way.

Well, no one ever called me normal. :smile:

It wasn't really a question but more of a comment about why people wouldn't eat exercise calories back when they're allowed to. Yes, I know...so they lose weight faster. I don't expect people to exercise as much as I do but I mostly just walk for exercise anyway so more calories burnt are also going to take more time.

Also, I don't exercise so much just to eat. Basically, I'm textbook sedentary. If I'm not sitting on my butt at work, I'm sitting on my butt at home. Exercising gets me out of the apt (at least when the weather is nice and it's light out). I never thought I'd say this but I feel better when I can move.

Also, the people saying losing so fast with so little calories have it spot on. The OP should keep his eye on his body fat as well as the number on the scale.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

But, that 2 lb maximum *should* be dependent on size. You're talking about netting way lower than you should be just to lose faster. It's nice and motivating to lose faster but I wouldn't say it's healthier. I think it makes sense, as does going down to .5-1 lb a week on here depending on how much more you have to lose It's all a numbers game either way.

Well, no one ever called me normal. :smile:

It wasn't really a question but more of a comment about why people wouldn't eat exercise calories back when they're allowed to. Yes, I know...so they lose weight faster. I don't expect people to exercise as much as I do but I mostly just walk for exercise anyway so more calories burnt are also going to take more time.

Also, I don't exercise so much just to eat. Basically, I'm textbook sedentary. If I'm not sitting on my butt at work, I'm sitting on my butt at home. Exercising gets me out of the apt (at least when the weather is nice and it's light out). I never thought I'd say this but I feel better when I can move.

Also, the people saying losing so fast with so little calories have it spot on. The OP should keep his eye on his body fat as well as the number on the scale.

You are correct and the 1-2lb range is dependent on size.
    There is a safe range because there is a range of sizes.
    Someone at the heavier end of the scale can lose at the top end of the range, but smaller people should be at the smaller end of the range.

2lb loss is achievable and healthy for a 200lb person, but it isn't so achievable or healthy for a 120lb person. The main reason is that the deficit required to achieve such loss is too large and the calorie intake would not provide enough nutrition.

The 1% you mentioned is perfect, as it takes into account the size of the person.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    What provides enough nutrition is the 1200 calories. Your BMR and activity don't burn nutrition. Calories is a unit of energy. Nutrition is a whole other thing.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    What provides enough nutrition is the 1200 calories. Your BMR and activity don't burn nutrition. Calories is a unit of energy. Nutrition is a whole other thing.

Deducting 1000 would probably put them under 1200.
    Not enough nutrition.
    That's why the smaller person should not aim for 2lb, they should be deducting 250-500.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Or upping their activity to increase their deficit to the 1000 rec. max. :smile:
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Or upping their activity to increase their deficit to the 1000 rec. max. :smile:

I agree you'd expect that to work, as the maths says they've got a 1000 deficit, but for some reason it doesn't always seem to work.

Even the experts get stumped by it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • glassyo
    Options
    Calories = a unit of energy, right?

So if you eat 1200 calories you may be ok nutritionwise but if you eat 1200 calories and burn an extra 500, probably not so much.
    The 1% you mentioned is perfect, as it takes into account the size of the person.

Thanks for that. I'm really the only person I've ever seen on here touting that piece of advice.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Calories = a unit of energy, right?

So if you eat 1200 calories you may be ok nutritionwise but if you eat 1200 calories and burn an extra 500, probably not so much.

Thanks for that. I'm really the only person I've ever seen on here touting that piece of advice.

You aren't alone.

Last time the question was asked on here regarding the maximum healthy loss, one of out resident trainer/nutrition experts replied with the 1%.

I think it was Ninerbuff, but it was a while ago.