Lose 4lbs (2kg) per week?

Options
Ahanaz
Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
So I've talked to some friends, and it seems like 2kg is a "normal" amount to lose weight if you do it right and healthy when you have as much as 50 lbs to lose (or more). But how do you do that while eating your BMR? I really wish I could lose that much in a week, at least for a while, like a month or so, but what do I need to do then? Anyone?

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let's do some math.

My BMR is 1558.15 calories.
    My calorie needs (adjusted for exercise) are 2142.45 calories.

3500 calories to a pound. To lose 4 pounds in a week, I would need to have a deficit of 14000 calories.

7*(2142.45) = 14997.15 calories
    you want to lose 4 lbs this week? Multiply 4 times 3500 calories, and subtract that number from 14997.15.

14997.15 - 14000 = 997.15

This would allow you to have 997.15 calories FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK.

--

More healthy way to do it is 1 pound a week. This would give you an intake daily of 1642.45.

KEEP IN MIND, that I am using a strictly mathematical formula. And that it differs between people. BMR is not accurate for everyone, and actually if I ate 2142 calories a day, I don't think I'd maintain, I think I'd likely GAIN. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Bottom line: don't try to lose 4 lbs a week. It's generally not recommended.
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    I see your point, it's just that I know so many who has lost like 3-4 pounds a week, and it seems like they eat normal, chicken, meat and so on, they do avoid dressings, sauces and so on, but still. And think about the guys in Biggest Loser, they lose hell lot more than that in one week.

I got 50 pounds to lose, and those I know who has lost 4 pounds per week, they have less then I have to loose. As it is now I lose less then 1 pound per week. I'd like to lose at least 1.5-2 pounds per week. :(

I don't have a lot of patience and I need some results in the beginning, some "fun" results, to get motivated to keep it going. Just for a month.

As I said, I see your point, and it's not humane to go for a goal like that. But I'd like to lose a little more per week than I do.

I tried the 1200 diet from MFP first 3 weeks, lost maybe 1 or 2 pounds. Then I started eat at BMR, I lose 1 pound per week, but not much more than that. I feel I need help with a boost to lose at least 10 pounds quickly, feel I'm going in the right direction.

I feel my cloths fit better, I look thinner, even according to family and friends, so it's not just imagination. But all the numbers are the same, scale, measurements etc. (And yes I measure on same spot. I hold the tape, my mom hold the other end so it is parallel to the floor, then I spin, Just like my personal trainer did)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    people that a lot to lose (like, over 100 pounds ) will definitely lose it a lot quicker.
    you can't really compare yourself to them.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have heard of people who have larger amounts to lose (as the above poster just said), like 100+ pounds tend to lose faster. It's simply because with more weight, you use more energy to carry your body weight, especially if they add exercise to their diet.

As they get closer to a normal weight, they will find it harder to lose as quickly. For you needing 50 lb loss, I think it'd be healthy to lose 1-2 lbs a week, not 4. Even losing 1 a week, you will be amazed how fast time flies if you follow your plan exactly! You shouldn't set a deadline for your goals. Just work towards them daily, and you will get there :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You can't do much more than the 1200/week plan. Did you do any exercise? You should be able to aim for 2 lbs/week, healthily. If your TDEE is say 2200, eat 1200. If it's 2000, eat 1200 and walk 2 miles or do something to up your expenditure 200 calories/day. Don't expect the scale results to be dead-on 2 lbs/week. You might lose 4 lbs the first week then nothing for 2 weeks then 4 lbs. the fourth week. You have to give it time. That 2 lb/week is an average over a longish time frame.
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have 46lbs to lose and I'm eating 1590 calories a day and exercising most days doing a variety of things, I've seen a 2 lbs loss in 4 days. I think if you just make sure you are counting everything and doing some good hard exercise you should lose.

Re The Biggest looser those guys have lots of weight to lose AND they train for 4 hours everyday. Do that and you will lose !
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    2lbs is the upper end of what is considered safe weight loss... not sure where you're friends got 2kg from.

Don't compare yourself to others and especially shows like the Biggest Loser. The results are not normal and definately not healthy. Quick weight loss is not sustainable and most will gain the weight back. Those around you may lose faster because they aren't doing it the healthy way.

Would you rather lose the weight quickly, be unhealthy and have a higher chance of the weight coming back or would you rather lose slowly, be healthy and keep the weight off?
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I notice different remarks from every one so I think you have to do what works for you. I have lost 3 lbs in a week and then a half a pound the next doing the same things. I dont stick to a special diet but VERY RARELY eat my 1200 calories a day and never eat the extra exercise calories. It just seems to me that if I am working my *kitten* off to loose them, why the heck would I eat them back? I MAKE myself exercise every day. Either Jillian Michaels or Leslie Sanstone. I often exercise in the morning before work and in the afternoon when I get home. I have also found that switching to a smaller plate for my meals really helps. It looks like a lot more food. An ear of corn, 3oz of steak and 1/2cup of cauliflower fills up the plate and now it fills me. My biggest issue is I am a picker and if I dont get away from the table as soon as I am done eating I will continue to pick at everything left in the bowls. I know I do this and make myelf stop. I also make myself log it. Last night my son made mac and cheese and there was about a/2 cup leftin the pan, instead of throwing it out I ate it. Then made myself log it, and went over my calorie goal. That will fix me. Good luck figuring out what is best for you but for me it IS NOT eating all those extra calories
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I always lose several pounds each the first two or three weeks (even, once, as much as ten pounds in a week). But, the thing to keep in mind, is that most of that is water weight. Actual fat loss, if I were to have some way of measuring that accurately, would still probably only be about a pound. There's no quick way to lose fat. Sucks, but it's the truth. Any weight loss program that promises more than 2 lbs a week is either a scam or a quick "flush" diet--meaning it makes you lose the water. Not that losing water isn't good--it still strains your joints to carry it around. A pound is still a pound. But there's only so much water retention going on, and after that the weight loss WILL slow down.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose. I started on May 8th and told MFP I wanted to lose a pound a week. Then I reset my calories to my bmr. I've lost about 28 pounds, but I know the 1st 10 was water weight and then some was probably the weight I gained during lent, so it came right back off again. I also started watching my sodium intake, trying to keep it under 1,500/day. I think that helps too. I can go days without my weight changing and then it will drop a pound all at once... there are also times when I'll lose .2 pounds per day for a few days. I haven't quite figured everything out yet... So much to learn
  • Markub
    Markub Posts: 4
    Options
    ive been on mfp for about 4-5 weeks now and have lost 25lbs so far i have quite a bit to lose but still i consider it to be basic math i eat on average 1400 calories a day and i bur through exercise about 1400 a day just by going on the treadmill and cranking up the incline also biking to work and and now am doing the couch to 5k.

I have read tons of stuff stating that this type of diet wouldnt last long nor would i have energy BUT it has been 4-5 weeks and i feel great, full of energy and would happily do more if i had time and am currently losing an average of 5lbs a week for 5 weeks straight i do do wieght training and I am also getting stronger so all this talk of losing strength and muscle is nonsence to me

ALSO if i was in fact say 50lbs less heavy I would only have to do an extra 20 minutes of walking on incline 6% to make up for the 50lb loss!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Seriously, just go slow with it. You'll keep it off in the long run.

When you eat less than 1200 calories in a day, your body will start to go into starvation mode, and while YOU THINK you can outwit your body, inevitably the day comes when you binge, or don't feel good or simply don't care...and bam, you can start gaining back.

First off, talk to your physician and or a nutritionist. I've been spoiled and had them both, plus exercise physiologists and behavioral people monitoring what I'm doing. It's tough, but you really have to start small and condition your body for the long term.

You have to remember that this is a lifestyle change...not something temporary. Nothing happens overnight!
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating to take the weight off slowly but that's probably how you put it on in the first place. 50 pounds is not an astronomical number to lose and you really need to aim at 1 to 1.5 pounds per week to do it in a healthly and lasting way. You will also probably experience plateaus along the way where you will lose nothing or even gain some of it back but that's all part of the process. The important thing is that you are working on changing your lifestyle so when you reach your ideal weight you will be able to maintain it and not lapse back into your old habits. Please try to be patient and concentrate on setting and accomplishing mini goals for yourself along the way and just live life. Before you know it you'll be looking at the "new you" in the mirror and all your hard work will be worthwhile.
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    I guess you all are right. Take it slowly.

Keep eating as I do, and be patient. Now when school is over after this week, I will have time to get to the gym more often to so I can build some muscles and get more cal burns :D

Thank you guys for getting me back on the healthy track :)
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone... I have lost 1.5-2kg in a week and I feel that I have been pretty healthy. Apart from the last two days where I am trying something different, have a look at my diary and let me know if any of it is "not safe"

Would love your thoughts :)
  • commonsense19
    commonsense19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Listen People......its not as simple as calories in and calories out!!!
    If a person is exercising and active, it matters where the calories are coming from.
    If I eat the 1800 calories recommended by this site and they were to all come from sugary carb foods, I would not lose any fat. I would gain. My body would burn those sugars for my energy and never go to my fat stores for energy. If I exercise 5 times per week and limit my sugar/carb intake to a very low level, and increase my caloric intake to 2200 calories and have most come from lean meats, raw vegetables, and some berries, nuts, etc. then my body will use fat stores for energy and use the proteins to help with lean muscle mass, and also benefit from the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in the vegetables, etc. It is probably the most difficult thing to do in the world we live in today. When you walk into any convenience store, restaurant, concession stand at movies and sporting events, it is all sugars and carbs....Stay away from that stuff people, eat the way your great grandparents did on the farm....garden to table and eat those butchered chickens, cattle, pigs, eggs, all you want! Drink lots of good fresh filtered well water!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread