HRM

Options
Keep hearing about these lately. Does it detect your calories burned or just how high/low your heart rate is?

Any particular models anybody recommends?

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It does both of what you said. I would recommend the brand Polar. I wear an FT7. I imagine most people beneath me will say Polar and that they have an Ft4 or and FT7.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Garmin forerunner 405cx, heart rate monitor, calories, GPS you name it.

You upload your session to their website and can print out the statistics of your workout which is invaluable and it tracks sessions, miles etc.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    HRM's come with a chest strap with electrical sensors that detect your heart rate. To this you attach the transmitter that send the HR data to a watch, which in turn displays your HR.

That is the only actual measuring that occurs.

Caloric burn isn't actually measured as such. It's estimated based on your age, gender and heart rate. The algorithms used have been determined via scientific study using statistical averages. It's important to keep in mind that it's just an estimate and may be very accurate for some people and quite a way out for others. Regardless, it's still a very useful guide, just not something to take as an absolute.