Can weight loss cause joint pains ?

Options
Hi
I started on MFP on 1st January 2012 and have now lost 30 pounds. (1580 calories / day).
I have recently been experiencing joint pains especially in the hips following long walks. I am having very little fats/oils in my diet for obvious reasons and wondered if this might be the cause. (I did not have joint pains prior to starting on this weight loss journey).
Thank you for your advice and guidance.
Ian

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    You've answered your own question. Eat more fish or up the HDL foods.

Failing that, omega 3,6 and 9 supplements will help your joints.
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply - I love oily fish (to eat as well as to dive with lol), but as you know it has a high calorie count.
    Has anyone else experienced any joint pain after several months of reduced calories.
    Thanks
    Ian
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is to do with the reduced fat in your diet. You need them for this kind of thing. Fats may be calorific, but they aren't all bad.

Try to find a way to include healthy fats into your daily calorie allowance for a month and see if you feel a difference.
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been having pain in my knees for the past 3 months. Maybe you answered my question too. Will have to try that, because I drastically reduced my fat intake.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Get more healthy fats into your diet from things like avocados, cheese, healthy oils, etc but all in moderation. Also you can try adding a fish oil supplement to your vitamin regimen to help with your joint pain. Good luck!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh also... "fat" in food isn't the same as what we call "fat" on a body. Your fat cells are just storing extra energy when you feed it extra calories. You will always have the same number of fat cells, they just change their size based on how much energy you are asking them to store (how many calories you eat). Don't let it fool you. You should be getting calories from carbs, proteins, AND fats. Your body is designed to break them all down. They all serve a purpose.
  • bluejerry
    Options
    I wish I had found this information a year ago!!
    in 2010 I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for a year. I developed severe joint pain and DR's put me on predisone to relieve the pain. As you can imagine, it worked, as well as putting 50 pounds back on. I just started three weeks ago on MFP and have already started having the pain again after dropping 9 pounds.

I will start adding higher Fat quantity items to my calorie intake and see how it goes.

Will report back in a month with an update.

Jerry
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose lost about 80 lbs (so have I). We both run and work out with bootcamp and/or crossfit so we both get a lot of wear and tear on our joints. She swears by fish oil capsules to help with her joint pain. Me....I don't see much of a difference when I take them but I also am not on a "lowfat" diet. Glucosamine/Chondroitin really helps my knee pain. I can really tell a difference when I don't take it for a few days.
  • tim_on_holiday
    tim_on_holiday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing you may not have thought of as the cause of your joint pain... firstly, well done on dropping that weight... and you didn't lose all that weight sitting in front of the tv eating snacks (you've been taking long walks). However, an increase in exercise, activity or movement (whilst still carrying excess weight) may be part of the cause. Perhaps trying low-impact activities like swimming as part of your lifestyle improvements. (From a man with achey-knees too!) Off to the pool! Best of luck and keep it up.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    good fats are good for you ... though my knee hurts as well, so I really need to dig out the fish oil myself :-)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Made mine go away. FWIW.
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good for you for your success!

I agree with the comments about fat. There's a reason why fats & oils are one of the four basic food groups - you gotta get them in there.

One other suggestion - if you're eating a lot of things from the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers), they can cause arthritis flareups in a fair number of people. So can an excess of citrus fruits.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I started on MFP on 1st January 2012 and have now lost 30 pounds. (1580 calories / day).
    I have recently been experiencing joint pains especially in the hips following long walks. I am having very little fats/oils in my diet for obvious reasons and wondered if this might be the cause. (I did not have joint pains prior to starting on this weight loss journey).
    Ian

You scared me, man ! I use to walk almost 5-6 hrs in a week and I don't eat fishes :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Ian

Since you have very little to go, the amount you try to lose should be less weekly.

So you should decrease your deficit, or in other words, eat more. So not sure what your weekly weight loss goal is, so perhaps lighten up a level.

That will provide more calories and let you get that fat in easier.

Are you still losing at the rate the deficit says you should be anyway?
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Which is more important?

Faster weight loss or taking care of your joints?

Your body needs some fat.

Yes, it's higher in calories, it's also more filling.

You can lose weight at a slower pace, but you can rarely fix joints after you mess them up.

I suggest going to a doctor and discussing your joint issues with him.

Mine suggested more fat, less exercise, and to lose some more weight.

(No, they aren't contradictory, it just takes a little longer)

But that was also for my particular issue.

Joints are fragile. I suggest discussing it with your doctor.

Ignoring pain is a good way to injure them. Please learn what the problem actually is from a health professional, then go from there.