GRE Tests - HELP!

Options
bazaar1982
bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
Have just been advised that I need to complete the GRE tese before applying to grad school (the application needs to be in by 1st December 2012) - I have no idea where to start!!! I've logged onto the system, but it all looks daunting as we take nothing like it in the UK - I presume its a step up from SATS? but along the same sort of lines?

Whats worse is my comprehension and literary experience are shocking, I'm dyslexic so have purposely avoided anything like that!

So any one got suggestions of prep books/software or suggestions that might help me get ready for this in the next 2 - 3 months (I'll need to take it in october at the latest) - I was thinking I might start with SAT or A level prep on the english side, and then work my way up as the test questions seem horrendous! I'm fine with the science stuff (I hope) and the maths I *should* be able to do with some revision.

I NEED a top score to get into either UCLA or UC Boulder - if I'm going to do this degree I've got to do it properly!

Replies

• KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You an get the Kaplan or Princeton Review books at the bookstore. They just updated the test in August 2011. YOu can look in the library for older copies but don't know how different they are from the new version. Good Luck!
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Yeah, I've looked at both of those - any idea which is better?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I took mine, I used the Kaplan Book, I believe..and I did Ok.

I think you can tell them that you have a learning disability, and you will get extra time.

As another poster said, they changed the test... so now it's a bit easier I believe. You are allowed a calculator in the math portion, when before you weren't.
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Tbh it's not the extra time I need, I just don't see my mistakes - I've handed many papers in having been proof read two or three time by me, yet there are still 'there, their, they're' type errors, plus if I don't know a word I'll substitute it for something simpler - not going to get away with that in this! Right off to look at some books and try not to freak out...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    When I took the GRE, there were study books available that had real past GRE questions in addition to an explanation of the kinds of questions covered on the test.

Also, I noticed that the math section went by a lot faster if I didn't do any math (they were seeing if you knew the rules, not if you could do arithmetic). I'm not sure if allowing calculators reflects a change in the test, or if they're just allowing them for the heck of it.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used the Kaplan book (that and others here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/11688/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_5_last) and did pretty well.

I was like you and totally overwelmed when I first realized I needed to take it. If you get the Kaplan book, I would recommend just reading through it first, without doing any of the pratice tests. Then go through the tests. Kaplan does a pretty good job if breaking down what the questions really mean, and what they are really looking for in answers.

As with anything that seems big and daunting at first, just break it down into managable sections. I would give yourself at least 2 weeks of straight studying before you take the GRE, longer if possible.
  • Neisah
    Neisah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you go to the GRE website. They have practice exams you can take on the site. That may help!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    They allow calculators for it now? Seems kind of pointless, I don't recall anything being that complicated to need one.

I can't help with study guides, I just sort of showed up at the testing center and took it. But I wouldn't stress about it too much, it's a pretty simple and straight forward test.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep, in line with the SAT. I thought the English was harder and the Math was a little easier. Can't comment on the logic sections as there was no logic section on the SAT when I went through and the logic section on the GRE was different when I took it... if that gives you any idea how long ago that was... lol! Use some prep materials. I think they are really all about the same. It's about learning the style of the test and becoming more comfortable with it more then anything. Good luck!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much the same thing as the SAT (at least thats how it is in america) except obviously it is more challenging since they are trying to see how you would do in a grad course instead of just a college course. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that they want to know how you THINK; they want to know if YOU know how to TAKE a test. It helps to know the material, but the real reason they are testing you on this stuff is not to make you try to do fractions all over again ... its to see if you KNOW the test

With that said, it is easier said than done .. my advice? Take a prep class. You could use the book on your own, but most of the time, you look at those books a few times, get discouraged and leave it alone ... and then panick 2 weeks before the test ... or at least thats what I did =) .. only you know if your self-motivated enough to keep up with it everyday. Again, in my opinion ... take a course .. it'll keep you responsible, plus they'll give great tips and tricks along
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Thanks guys, we don't do SATs here so might get a prep book for that to look at first, think I need to build up to the GRE ones! Would do a course if I could but the nearest one is miles away :mad:

Your all making me feel at bit better about it though, as when I first looked at it I was terrified! But I figure if I can get a first in a science degree I should be able to master this blooming test.... I hope :laugh:
  • Nerple
    Options
    Thanks guys, we don't do SATs here so might get a prep book for that to look at first, think I need to build up to the GRE ones! Would do a course if I could but the nearest one is miles away :mad:

Your all making me feel at bit better about it though, as when I first looked at it I was terrified! But I figure if I can get a first in a science degree I should be able to master this blooming test.... I hope :laugh:

Don't even bother with the SAT stuff, it would be a complete waste of time.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just get the official guide and buy another one like Kaplan or ExamKrackers if you have trouble with the verbal.

I'm actually taking this test in about 20 minutes.

The quant section should make up for verbal. The verbal in this test is such BS.
  • bazaar1982
    Options

Don't even bother with the SAT stuff, it would be a complete waste of time.

really? even as a basis to start with? i left school at 16 with GCSE's (probably like the GED there), but got onto this degree with work experience (12 years later). So I really have nothing to base it on - never having done a test like this before :S

happy to skip that section but thought it might help me get to grips with the volcab bit in particular!
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Just get the official guide and buy another one like Kaplan or ExamKrackers if you have trouble with the verbal.

The quant section should make up for verbal. The verbal in this test is such BS.

ooh good luck! not sure we have to do a verbal one as mines all computerised. I have to admit I find it a little strange that they make you do this to even apply! I mean surely the fact that I get 70s+ on my exams and assigments so far show that I know my subject? but no....I have to know everyone elses specialty too!
  • Nerple
    Options

ooh good luck! not sure we have to do a verbal one as mines all computerised. I have to admit I find it a little strange that they make you do this to even apply! I mean surely the fact that I get 70s+ on my exams and assigments so far show that I know my subject? but no....I have to know everyone elses specialty too!

The verbal section he means I believe is the English comprehension part, not an actual oral exam.

The reason for the test is every undergraduate school is different in difficulty of coursework, and others are absolutely notorious for grade inflation so it's a way of being able to compare everyone on an equal setting.

And referring to the SAT books. Really, everything you should need to know should be in the GRE prep books.
  • bazaar1982
    Options

The verbal section he means I believe is the English comprehension part, not an actual oral exam.

The reason for the test is every undergraduate school is different in difficulty of coursework, and others are absolutely notorious for grade inflation so it's a way of being able to compare everyone on an equal setting.

And referring to the SAT books. Really, everything you should need to know should be in the GRE prep books.

ah ok i thought it meant as in a spoken part to the exam! oops. not looking good is it!

I will take the advice and order the gre books today.

I didn't realise the issue with grades - but i suppose a its as likely to happen here, I did read a friends 1st class dissertation the other week, it wouldn't of got a 2:2 at my uni!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did great by just using GRE prep books (more than one). Practice, baby, practice.
  • anku08
    anku08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I preferred Barron's for vocab...
    And nova for maths...
    You could try dat
    Nova for vocab is also a good option..
    and yes Barron;s Vocab list is in audio version as well.. it's available on the net as well..

Though i have given the exam but still planning to download audible version...
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread so I hope I'm not repeating anything!

Get the GRE vocab cards...Like the SAT, the GRE has a lot of vocabulary in the verbal section, but unlike the SAT, they're words that you've probably NEVER heard of. My friend was an English major and had heard of none of these words. I believe it's Kaplan, has a vocab card set with 500 of the most common GRE words, I borrowed those from a friend and there were DEFINITELY a lot of those words on the GRE. Worth it to buy, IMO.

Echo the person who said that the math is a lot about knowing the "rules"....I did very few calculations (although I was an Engineering major, full disclosure, did a lot of math every day in college...Other people might find the math more difficult?)

The essays actually weren't that bad. The key is to think critically about what they're asking you....Don't try and write a flowery essay with lots of big words, etc to impress the GRE people. Just get to the point, identify the situation/problem, or whatever, and discuss the solutions or challenges. I did this on my GRE and was actually expecting a terrible writing score because I felt like it might have been too technical-style for the test, but I got a perfect essay score.

Also, the GRE is offered every day, but you can only take it every 60 days. So I'd take it now or within the next month or so, that way if you need to take it again, you can up to 2 more times before most college deadlines.