fruit n veg etc

Options
Anyone know where I can get healthy fresh food for cheaper than supermarkets the pounds aren't just coming off me they are coming out my bank too lol xx

Replies

• fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Which country you in ??/
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you have time you can grow your own veggies. I have a lot of friends who do this. There are also these fruit/veggie co op things near me when you pay buy the month and you get delivered what is in season. Buying in season is cheaper too.
  • traceyneed
    Options
    I shop at Aldi now for fruit & veg a lot cheaper and just as nice if not better quality
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is important to know so that other people who live where you do can offer advice.

Check out the frozen veggie section- often the house brands at supermarkets are excellent value, and if you steam the frozen veg, they can have more nutrients still in them than fresh as they are flash-frozen once picked on the farms!
    Which country you in ??/
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    You will need to consider checking out all the ads for all of the food-related stores in your area.
    If you cant afford fresh vegetables, you can always purchase frozen (the kind that is not swimming in sauce, just the vegetable flash frozen) that is cheap to purchase. You may even have asian stores that have great prices on produce!

There are fruits out there that are frozen without anything additionally added - usually storebrands have much more affordable prices.

Depending on where you live - it is always great to start your own garden - one season, I was able to yield 40# of peppers and tomatoes from my garden - THAT is savings... and no, it is not expensive to do a garden.

You have to get creative but it also means you have to do the research for the stores in your area....
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You likely have a local farmers market and may not know it, even if you are in a very urban area.

I get all my fruits/veggies from the farmers market in downtown Dallas.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    You likely have a local farmers market and may not know it, even if you are in a very urban area.

I get mine from the farmers market and other small farmer stands we have randomly around town. :)
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are always a good bet for very cheap vegetables. Just look out for sales.

Also, try to buy in season!

For example, watermelons are coming into season and clementines are not (where I live anyway, CT).
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options

THIS!

We live out in the sticks West of Phoenix and we even have local farmers that do "natural" gardening here and we can buy from them. It's so great to get fresh produce without having to drive to the nearest store (25 miles away)!
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    local green grocers can surprise you. I go some raspberries from tesco for £1.99 (at half price) AND they were arranged so you couldn't see the huge pile of mould unitl you opened them. went to the green grocers and they are £1.50 per punnett- a lot cheaper and also local, fresh and not mouldy!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sometimes there are bargains at farmer's markets. I get the weekly ads of my fav supermarkets on-line and make out the menu accordingly. .Publix always has at least 40 BOGO items--some of them in the produce aisle. Not an option for me any more but pick-it-yourself places are often a bargain if you live near one. Hope that is helpful. Good luck.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who LOVES watermelon, but HATES cutting it?

My faves in season right now are cherries and strawberries and asparagus. I could seriously live on asparagus.