Options
thingal12
thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
I love Quinoa salads.. but why does it have to be SO DARN CALORIC :frown:

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    what size portion are you having? This recipe doesn't sound bad : http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/quinoa-salad.php
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Quinoa itself is not overly caloric dense per serving size, and the fact that it is a vegetarian source of protein with a complete amino acid profile makes it worthwhile.
  • thingal12
    Options
    I bought 100% whole grain quinoa from Costco, its 155 calories for 1/4 cup. Last night I made a quinoa salad with 1/2 cup quinoa ( 310 calories ) and 1/8 cup pine nuts and the rest veggies, and just one tbsp evoo (120 calories ) it came up to nearly 590 calories. :sad:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion control and lots of veggies.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I bought 100% whole grain quinoa from Costco, its 155 calories for 1/4 cup. Last night I made a quinoa salad with 1/2 cup quinoa ( 310 calories ) and 1/8 cup pine nuts and the rest veggies, and just one tbsp evoo (120 calories ) it came up to nearly 590 calories. :sad:

Yep, same quinoa I buy. Bulk of your calories realistically were from the pine nuts and olive oil, not a bad thing but respectable for the amount you put in there.
  • thingal12
    Options
    Next time I'll definately put A LOT more veggies.. although I thought I put in a lot (1/2 of a red bell pepper, 1 (pickle looking) cucumber, 1 small yellow onion, parsley, & mint. I was still hungry after eating this- and I ate breakfast and lunch, too!