Easy Cucumber Salad

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
This is a family recipe, but so very simple to make. It expands very easily (just multiply the ingredients), so I'm going to give the recipe for one cucumber. Salt is to taste, I recommend trying it without salt then adding it a little at a time until it brings out the flavor of the cucumbers. If you're on a low salt diet, you can skip it entirely. It only takes 5 minutes or so to make, less if you have someone who can stir together the vinegar and sugar while you slice cucumber(s).

Ingredients:
1 cucumber
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt/table salt

1) Thinly slice the cucumber into medallions, should be about 8-16 slices per inch and put into a suitable bowl.
2) In a separate bowl, wisk together sugar and vinegar until sugar is completely dissolved. This may take a few minutes so it's good exercise.
3) Pour the brine over the cucumber slices. Add salt to flavor. Try a slice and think, "Damn, this is really good!" then begrudgingly put the bowl into the fridge to chill for a few hours.

Makes approximately 4 servings.

Nutes per serving:
Calories: 59
Carbs: 15
Fat: 0
Protein: 1
Fiber: 1
Sodium: 149

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    YUM!! My family makes this as well! It is always a summertime favorite.:love:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    LOL - Yup - really good! I also like to add red onion slices to the party! :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YUM! Thank you!! I was looking for a cucumber salad recipe last month. This looks easy and I LOVE that you listed the recipe for one single cucumber. Makes a few servings, nothing wasted to sit in the fridge and spoil!! :flowerforyou:
  • yessie75
    Options
    My mother-in-law used to make this salad. She passed away this summer and i never got the recipe. Thanks, I will try it tonight.
  • abatres7
    Options
    my family uses cabbage and tomatoes with the sugar and vinegar mix and that is surprisingly good as well.
  • killianrjkl
    Options
    My family also makes this recipe. We also add thinly sliced onion but our brine is 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    my family uses cabbage and tomatoes with the sugar and vinegar mix and that is surprisingly good as well.

I have to try this! :)
  • LaurieB5578
    Options
    yum
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    This is a family recipe, but so very simple to make. It expands very easily (just multiply the ingredients), so I'm going to give the recipe for one cucumber. Salt is to taste, I recommend trying it without salt then adding it a little at a time until it brings out the flavor of the cucumbers. If you're on a low salt diet, you can skip it entirely. It only takes 5 minutes or so to make, less if you have someone who can stir together the vinegar and sugar while you slice cucumber(s).

Ingredients:
    1 cucumber
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt/table salt

1) Thinly slice the cucumber into medallions, should be about 8-16 slices per inch and put into a suitable bowl.
    2) In a separate bowl, wisk together sugar and vinegar until sugar is completely dissolved. This may take a few minutes so it's good exercise.
    3) Pour the brine over the cucumber slices. Add salt to flavor. Try a slice and think, "Damn, this is really good!" then begrudgingly put the bowl into the fridge to chill for a few hours.

Makes approximately 4 servings.

Nutes per serving:
    Calories: 59
    Carbs: 15
    Fat: 0
    Protein: 1
    Fiber: 1
    Sodium: 149

bet it would be great with vidalias sliced in it too.....gonna try it!
  • denae
    Options
    If you use rice vinegar instead of regular...its even better tasting! I have used that one for many years! Tastes great!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I have to try this! :)

ooh, I've had this.
    SUPER DELISH.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    BUMP