Is it just me or....

Options
Have any of you found that when you switch over to clean, home prepared healthier meals your body has a MUCH harder time handling restaurant food? Almost without fail, when I eat at a restaurant (even if it's borderline healthy like a meal soup) my stomach feels sick and I can't handle it and often have gastrointestinal problems!
Anyone the same as me?

Replies

• Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    Yes, I tend to feel really sick afterwards.

Eating clean is also seeming to make me ....well...have issues in the restroom too. Seems like I should just set up camp. Sorry TMI I know. lol
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    yes, I went to McDonalds the other day with the girl I babysat. She had chicken nuggets and offered me a half of one they looked good so I was like what they heck... THEY WERE THE MOST DISGUSTING THING I HAVE EVER EATEN. I COULD NOT BELIEVE I ATE THAT FOOD BEFORE!:grumble:

*I do not eat clean- but I not eat fast food or most processed foods. I love morning star products- can't give them up sorry.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the same as eating clean, but...

When I went to London for five weeks I had similar issues when I came back. Their processed sugars are lower over there; I mean candy bars had real sugar in them! So when I came back to the US it took me awhile to get used to all the processed crap again.

Just your body's way of saying, "What the hell is this?!" I guess.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Not only you. I think our bodies get used to cleaner/smaller portions and when we go out it really messes us up. Same with soft-drinks. I used to be able to drink them all the time now they are too sweet and too carbonated...yucky.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    Absolutely.. I taste all the salt they put in restaurant foods and I find myself with lots of stomach pains and 'visiting' the restroom a lot more.... and dont even get me started about if i get popcorn at the movie theater... omg...
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Anything fried has me down and out! If I have a moment and indulge in the cake or chips....I pay for it later!!
  • cookadook
    cookadook Posts: 41
    Options
    restaurant foods often (dare i say almost always) have high sodium. For example.. I love applebee's and they have a section of their menu that is 550 calories or less. I opted for the Dijon chicken with portabella mushrooms. ended up being only 470 calories but 1820mg of sodium! When you are making fresh foods at home... you are (hopefully) using little or no salt so your body is going to process that much easier than the sodium filled food from restaurants. just my opinion.:happy:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily get sick to my stomach from eating it but lets' just say my body rejects it the next day! :blushing:
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! Just ANOTHER reason to eat healthy... not worth feeling SICK after eating junk!!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    nope,I eat whatever and feel fine
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.. I taste all the salt they put in restaurant foods and I find myself with lots of stomach pains and 'visiting' the restroom a lot more.... and dont even get me started about if i get popcorn at the movie theater... omg...

Once I got popcorn at a movie theater and I believe I threw up everything I've ever eaten in my life. I can't digest all that butter and salt and whatever else they put in there.

Never again. Now I plan to sneak food into the theater in my oversized purse.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I find that my body seems to dislike me after:

Overindulging in rich food & alcohol at one time! But then it always has so it's nothing new to me.

Restaurant food is not particularly a problem but by restaurants do you mean things like fast food and chinese? I have no problems eating in most restaurants but I'm quite fussy about the ones I go to and it will be for an 'occasion'. I have always cooked from scratch at home and have a bug-bear about bottled sauces, over processed rubbish.

However I was eating a very low fat diet for a lot of my time on MFP and have now increased the (good) fat I am consuming which has actually really settled my stomach a lot.

xx
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That's me too, I hate it!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I know I feel sick after, I took this last weekend and had a lot of processed foods and ate out a few meals, I have been so sick for the past few days not sure if I have a regular bug or its from the food I ate.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, yuck! I have the same problem now that I've switched up my diet, even if I go for the healthiest option on the menu. I've always had stomach issues, and they have been so much better since we've stopped eating out for the most part. I remember when I went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart after I'd gotten really serious about changing my diet and eating habits - there was SO much processed junk on display at the end of every aisle, and just SO much crap in huge portions, it was a total sensory overload. I haven't been back there since! If we need anything from Wal-Mart, my husband picks it up, haha!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I lost more weight than I should have last week (I'm on maintenance and I'm backsliding badly) so Saturday I decided to just have a "whatever day". Eat whatever I want like I did what I was fat. Yeah, my body didn't like that and I spend all night Saturday and all day Sunday sick.

Since then I've been on the straight and narrow and trying to figure out how to stop the backsliding. I wish I knew this secret 40 pounds ago...
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ME, ME!! I always have tummy troubles after I eat at a restaurant. I have to watch what I eat while out, otherwise I will get cramps, and the poops. (TMI) If I eat something that is grilled, I seem to do better. Anything fried is pretty much off limits.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I usually feel like I have a brick in my gut. Or it just doesn't taste *that* great.

Although I had a restaurant panzerotti on Saturday and oh baby was it delicious. The cheese wasn't too kind, but eh..
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not only you. I think our bodies get used to cleaner/smaller portions and when we go out it really messes us up. Same with soft-drinks. I used to be able to drink them all the time now they are too sweet and too carbonated...yucky.

^^ me too. the carbonation burns my throat. LOL and way too sweet
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    .... and dont even get me started about if i get popcorn at the movie theater... omg...

That stuff KILLS me now! EEP!