I still don't fit in my size 12 jeans!

Options
Before I had my daughter i was 188 lbs and a size 12 jean, The otherday I finnally reached188 lbs again but I still don't fit in my size 12. I feel like this is a stupid question but when can I expect to fit back into them? I'm 5'2" if that helps.

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Oh what I'd give to fit in a size 12!!!!

I don't know if this helps or not, but it sounds like what I've experienced before.

I regularly wear size 18 jeans, they are snug, I weigh about 208lbs. Two years ago I dropped down to 178lbs I still wore a size 18, size 16 was snug enough I didn't want to wear them.

I promise I can breathe in my pants, but it just made me wonder, how much weight I'd have to lose in order to get down to the next size of pants

Is this what they call "big boned" lol?
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    i would believe its because when you were originally 188lbs you had more muscle than you do now, ...... keep working at it you will be into them in no time :)
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I believe it is all about composition.

Before at the same weight you could have been more muscular, which is heavier but takes up less space!

This time you could have less muscle but weight the same which means you are bigger for the same lbs.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's just a difference in fat stores distribution. You had a kid, and that changes your body. It's just changed how it distributes your body weight. I haven't had kids but I had a pair of jeans I fit into in high school at 166, but I needed to be like 154 or so before they fit. Because I grew up and got hips :smile:

Not sure when you can expect to fit into them again, but keep on keepin on, and pretty soon they'll be too big!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy and such may have change the distribution of fat on your body. Give it another 5-10lbs and see how you do.

By don't fit do you mean you can get in them, but not button? Or can't even get them on? That'll give you an indication.

I'm 5'5" and I find that I go down about a size every 5 lbs or so. I was a 14 at 186, 12 at 180, 10 at 175, 8 at 170, 6 at 160, 4 at 150...
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 156lbs and 5'3" and my size 14 is still tight... so I have no idea. My weight is all in my belly though.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the posters above that if you keep working at it, you will get there...

Also, are these the same size 12 jeans from before? Remember that the fashion industry does change their cuts and also what a size 12 is actually considered.... it is never consistant... if only

You will get there so don't worry!!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Perhaps your composition and weight distribution has changed. When I reached my highest weight around age 16, I weighed around 230-240 lbs. and wore a size 20-22 in jeans depending on the brand. I weigh 229 right now at age 26, and I'm wearing a size 16 (and sometimes a 14). I think as I got older my weight redistributed itself (at least some of it went to my boobs, which is awesome, lol).
  • courtneyprudhomme
    Options
    I want to agree with everyone else here.. prob you had more muscle mass before.. I am 184 lbs and fit in a size 12, but I work out A LOT.. back in they day (like my early 20's - im in my late 30's now) when I weighed the same amount (I didn't work out at all - just dieted) there was no WAY i would fit a 12.. i was more like a 16..
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. There's no telling when you'll get into them. I can relate though. When my husband got home from deployment, I had gotten down to 174lbs and I was fitting into a size 10 comfortably. We got "happy" and ate like piggies.... LOL I gained about 10-15lbs in just a few short months. I was back up into my size 12s. Now, I am at 185lbs and I'm fitting into my size 10s again (not all, but most). What types of exercises are you doing? I have noticed going up and down on the scales, I lose weight in different places. It stinks. BEFORE, I was losing weight from my bottom half pretty regularly, but now I can't seem to get the tape measure to budge on my hips. My waist, bust, and arms are thinner, but my hips are still the same. Hang in there and keep working. Try some muscle building workouts (squats, lunges, etc) if you're not already and it SHOULD help to build some muscle which will help your body shed the fat. ;)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I was a 14 at 5'6'' and 160 (I carried every ounce of fat in buns and thighs) Now I'm 145 and a size 7-8. Strength training really shrinks the body even thought the number on the scale doesn't change that much. I lost 7 inches off my butt alone.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Having a baby does wierd stuff to your body. A week after I had my 3rd I weighed 8lbs less than I did before I was pregnant (thanks to some gnarly nausea and food aversions), but I was wearing a pants size bigger. As you lose weight you should balance out a little better, but you may find that you tend to carry more fat around your middle than you used too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you clothes might never fit the same no matter how much weight you lose.

I weighed 147 pounds before I got pregnant. 4 weeks post birth, I weighed 139 (I only gained 16 pounds because I was sick a lot). My pre pregnancy clothes didn't fit. Now I am closer to 151 pounds (3 years later), they still don't fit or look right.

Pregnancy seems to have permanently widened my hips and narrowed my waist.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    During pregnancy, the hips widen, sometimes only slightly, and this may be what is causing you not to fit into your size 12s at the same weight as before.

I actually got down lower than my pre-pregnancy weight, and still didn't fit into the 10s that I was in before getting pregnant. Of course, I then began gaining weight, so I can't tell you how much lower I needed to go...

BUT, I'll find out this year. I am on a MISSION!!!! Sounds like you are too - good luck!!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising or dieting with no exercise?
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    patience-quotes-61.jpg

You'll get there, just keep going! Your body composition has probably changed since you last wore them, that could be why that even at the same weight, they don't quite fit. You CAN get into those jeans, just keep up the hard work. :flowerforyou:
  • roseombre
    roseombre Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Must be muscle tone. Exercise may be the answer.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I wore a size 12 at 165 lb, but I'm 5'5". Perhaps your hips have widened from giving birth, and you will now have to have less BF% to get to the same size?
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'2" as well. At 188 I fit into size 16/18, at 178 I was into 14's, I was in the 160's high 150's at a 12. I'm in a 8/10 now at 143. I need to add though that the weight training as done the most good in terms of getting my pant size down. LIft some weight!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am 169lbs and 5'2" and wear a size 12. When I was 188 I wore a snug size 14.

Denise