Paleo Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    paleo-flowchart.jpg&sa=X&ei=9RbrT62VD4ncqgGTsdzGBQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH2Yc54jSZWhEVHTIu-QQK4bqokrg

I now kind of have a man crush on you for sharing this one. Total, gem.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bread was by far the easiest thing to just drop. I still occasionally have it from buns for burgers, but I am not really sold into a huge "100% committal" approach to anything. Lost 50 lbs in 3.5 months eating a large thing crust pizza a day+other meals and not counting a calorie. Eat something full of energy, just go work it off. That being said, the general lower amount of carbs and natural sources of carbs has evened out my energy to be at an insanely HIGH level all day with an occasional post work out "insane" spike. (getting done working out and your body wanting to go freaking super hard running is really annoying if you plan to go to bed anytime soon after) But I don't feel lethargic through out the day anymore, I am even, my emotions are pretty level, just in general I enjoy life more. That is my experience.

As for cholesterol staying fine, look up Mark's Daily Apple cholesterol, he has a decent explanation IMO. Over all people don't really understand cholesterol well enough and I eat over double what they "recommend" but it is from natural healthy sources and I simply don't care. (If it is a lot in an egg, I'm going to bed that the egg isn't going to kill me since its contents are there to create life... Just my attitude)
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Paleo Solution by Robb Wolff. The idea of eating the way we're genetically programed is intriguing. So, I bought the book.

The first few chapters read like like an infomercial. It's chock full anecdotes and glowing personal testimonials. So far, I haven't seen much hard statistical evidence to back up some of these claims. I find some of his claims regarding the health of our hunter-gatherer ancestors rather dubious. There are no cavemen around to interview and examine. I don't think there is a way to settle that question one way or the other.

I do agree modern processed food, with nasty additives like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils is killing us. But, those were developed in the last 50 to 100 years. I'm not convinced that we need to turn back the clock 10,000 years and eliminate grains and dairy entirely. That said, I am finding some useful information in the book. I intend to keep reading and will try to keep an open mind.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not a fad. It is all about healthy eating. Eat your meat and vegetables (except white potatoes). That is what we have always been taught. Paleo eliminates the fillers that are put on your plate like grains, legumes. Why do you add bread crumbs to meatloaf - filler. No dairy. Paleo gets a lot of hard knocks for this but yet vegan and lactose intolerant are fine with almond milk and coconut milk. Diabetics are put on a low glycemic diet and Paleo is just that. Lots of good books explaining benefits of Paleo.

If it's all about healthy eating why not dairy, legumes, grains or white potatoes?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Another entertaining Paleo thread. SMH.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I do agree modern processed food, with nasty additives like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils is killing us. But, those were developed in the last 50 to 100 years. I'm not convinced that we need to turn back the clock 10,000 years and eliminate grains and dairy entirely. That said, I am finding some useful information in the book. I intend to keep reading and will try to keep an open mind.
    Evolution didn't stop 10,000 years ago. If anything, evolution was accelerated since then. Look into a book called the 10,000 year explosion.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Paleo now has as many different definitions as a vegetarian. It's kind of silly. But, the way I read it, and the way I've started is that I simply try not to eat anything that comes pre-packaged. I try to stay away from starchy foods. I try to eat more nuts and berries. Not really paleo, but about as close as I'm ever going to get. I'm not a caveman, so there's no need for me to live that way. And, since cavemen died at age 30, I wouldn't go around saying their way of life was healthy. They ate that way out of necessity, not because it was a choice. LOL. So, if there are modern cavemen alive today, I'm pretty sure they would be impressed with Pizza, Coke, and Cheese Balls.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, really dont get peoples issue with it, calling it really unhealthy and such. Its not encouraging you to go and drink a pint of cream ala Atkins, its just encouraging a more natural diet, not eating refined or processed foods and avoiding things thats natural state is in a box or a can. I dont think that thats a bad thing, people get up in arms about other people avoiding grains and such, seriously, what, are you all sellers for the grain industry, because it would seem that way from some of the posts (not necessarily the ones on here, just the ones about paleo in general).

Its a lifestyle choice, y'all wouldnt lay into celiacs telling them how unhealthy their lifestyle is and that what they eat is silly when they replace grains with other types of flour and such. And Im pretty sure it is NOT the opinion of the UK health service that not eating processed foods is bad. Im pretty positive my Doctor wouldnt have a go at me if I told him I wasnt eating any processed foods, but was instead eating more nuts, veg, fruit and drinking a lot more water.

I understand that some people are uppity about their diet, and healthier than thou, I admit I do it sometimes, but I love food, and I love cooking. I just dont like feeling crap after eating certain foods. We dont NEED to eat bread and pasta, yes, they taste nice, but at the end of the day, food is food, as long as youre eating nutritious food, what does it matter if you dont eat certain things. I digress....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    But normal bread is so tasty!!!! It's much better not made of cave dust! :wink:

You should try some low carb bread before you knock it, it tastes good. I don't eat much regular bread just because I have only so many carbs I can eat in a day and spending 50 carbs on 2 pieces is a lot when your diet consists of following macros intently. I am a bodybuilder so this can be useful for folks like me or other folks with different moderate to low carb. diets.

I run and I need carbohydrate, and I like it, I probably go way over my 'macros' for it each day. Personally (each to their own) I refuse to eat fad foods. As far as I'm aware carbohydrates have been a key source of sustenance around the globe. I do agree that modern agricultural methods are questionable and particularly in America (Europe is also coming come up to speed in hugely damaging intensive farming practices) and processed food is bad and full of cr*p for many reasons - mostly economical. However I am fussy when I purchase bread - make sure it's wholemeal...make sure sugar is waaaaay down the ingredient list! Unfortunately there are 2 monopoly bakeries in the UK and they produce everything from most UK mainstream bread, to dough for supermarkets and restaurants and the flour we buy at home to 'make our own from scratch'. There are certain additives that become unavoidable. BUT scratch under the surface and there's a whole more interesting story behind diet and 'fad' foods produced for demand and profit.
    If the whole of Western society started eating the Paleo way there would be a food crisis. I'm just doing my part by not being on it... :wink: :drinker:

Have you ever tried making spelt soda bread? You can get the flour from holland and barret, and its REALLY easy to make. Its quite a heavy loaf and needs to be eaten quickly, but soooo easy. Ive made it a few times because spelt is lower in gluten. All you need is 300g flour, 10g baking powder, 230ml buttermilk (regular milk with a spoon of lemon juice to curdle will do), a pinch of salt, some seeds if you want) and just chuck it in a bowl and mix. The mixture will be quite wet and sticky. Cut a cross deep in the dough, Bake of a pre-heated baking tray with a baking sheet on for around 15 mins, et voila, delicious and healthy :)
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    But normal bread is so tasty!!!! It's much better not made of cave dust! :wink:

You should try some low carb bread before you knock it, it tastes good. I don't eat much regular bread just because I have only so many carbs I can eat in a day and spending 50 carbs on 2 pieces is a lot when your diet consists of following macros intently. I am a bodybuilder so this can be useful for folks like me or other folks with different moderate to low carb. diets.

I run and I need carbohydrate, and I like it, I probably go way over my 'macros' for it each day. Personally (each to their own) I refuse to eat fad foods. As far as I'm aware carbohydrates have been a key source of sustenance around the globe. I do agree that modern agricultural methods are questionable and particularly in America (Europe is also coming come up to speed in hugely damaging intensive farming practices) and processed food is bad and full of cr*p for many reasons - mostly economical. However I am fussy when I purchase bread - make sure it's wholemeal...make sure sugar is waaaaay down the ingredient list! Unfortunately there are 2 monopoly bakeries in the UK and they produce everything from most UK mainstream bread, to dough for supermarkets and restaurants and the flour we buy at home to 'make our own from scratch'. There are certain additives that become unavoidable. BUT scratch under the surface and there's a whole more interesting story behind diet and 'fad' foods produced for demand and profit.
    If the whole of Western society started eating the Paleo way there would be a food crisis. I'm just doing my part by not being on it... :wink: :drinker:

If low carb. bread is a fad food then I am glad its around as I explained why as it can serve a great purpose in many different forms of fad or non fad diets that consist of moderate to low carb diets. Its just a low carb healthy food not some infectious virus. Not really sure about all this other jargon you are talking about as I was just simply refering my comment to the low carb. bread. Its not your war against how other people want to eat and if you honestly think "the whole of western society" is going to eat paleo and we are going to have some type of food crisis then you really need to grow up... just sayin.

I don't have a war on 'how people eat' but it's good for people to question things before embarking them. I don't impose my way of eating on ANYONE so it annoys me when people that follow Paleo/low carb do. Surely it's good for the Op to have a balanced view. Me and the UK National Health Service think that this is a fad diet. Just sayin'

Enjoy your toast! : )

And my doctor seems to think otherwise. To each his own, but you can get plenty of carbs while sticking to Paleo. Oh, and you are imposing your way of eating, JFYI.
  • paleokate
    paleokate Posts: 1
    Options
    How do cholesterol levels stay within normal levels on a Paleo diet?

I can only speak for myself, but there is a lot of research and other personal testimonies out there that support what I have found to be true. I have been eating paleo for about a year, at times I am more strict than others but have been rather consistent. I eat 1-2 eggs almost everyday for breakfast and often cook them in organic butter (never margarine!). Had my cholesterol checked recently and it was 125. So for me, it is not a problem. I don't think you should worry UNLESS you have an issue with cholesterol or if high levels run in your family. If you want a more scientific explanation, google it. You will find enough info to read for days!
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    paleo-flowchart.jpg&sa=X&ei=9RbrT62VD4ncqgGTsdzGBQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH2Yc54jSZWhEVHTIu-QQK4bqokrg

hahah this is awesome