Can you have too much whey protein

Options
I have finally reached my weight lose goal and I want to start putting on muscle. I find it hard to prepare enough food to get the amount of protien I have had recommended to me. Is it bad if I have 2 or 3 whey protein shakes every day?

Replies

• MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Obviously natural sources are better. But no it's not bad.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I agree with MustBeTheRows. But also, make sure it doesn't take you over your calories for the day. Many protein shakes are pretty high calorie.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Obviously natural sources are better. But no it's not bad.

ditto
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad for you, protein can be converted into fat just like glucose, but I have not read up on the exact circumstances when it does this. I go with 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can hurt you.

Too much protein can put a huge strain of your liver and kidney's as they are trying to process it. Protein doesn't BUILD muscle. It helps maintain it. So consuming a lot of protein doesn't help make your muscles bigger. This is a huge huge misconception that most people believe. Protein is obviously a necessisity for healthy muscles BUT people need carbs as energy to help them have the energy to weight lift/run in order to break those muscles down so they can be built back up. BUT eating more protein after you've broken the muscle down doesn't make them bigger or heal any faster. Just makes sure there is enough amino acids there that they will rebuild properly.

What I'm trying to say it, your body will store extra protein just like it stores everything else, so try not to overdo it. Plus, when it's trying to excrete the extra protein, it's putting stress on your organs.

I feel like I'm going to catch flack from people on here about this but... those are the facts.

I hope this helps!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. I try to eat about 0.8g-1.0g/lbs body weight.
    Good natural protein sources apart from lean meat that I try to eat is greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, nuts, quinoa, eggs etc.

And congratulations on your weight loss!!!

EDIT: I'm not saying TOO much protein is not bad for you, of course if you eat crazy amount of protein it's not good. But yuo asked about 2-3 protein shakes a day, and that is not going to hurt you :)
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Before you get too far ahead of yourself, I just took a peak at your diary and goals.

Daily Goals:
    Carbs: 206g Fat:10g Protein: 229g

I have a strong feeling that you believe that eating too much "fat" will make you fat and that eating too much protein will make you muscular. Wrong.

I recommend that you bump down protein to about 1gram per pound of lean body mass (around 160g-170g range) and increase your fat intake with whatever calories you have left over. Leaving fat that low will not be enough to keep you healthy and sane for a long time. Throw in some fish oils, olive oil, natural peanut/almond butters/nuts as healthy fats. They are essential to your diet and well being.

Edit: I am in muscle building mode so look at my diary or message me for help.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Before you get too far ahead of yourself, I just took a peak at your diary and goals.

Daily Goals:

I have a strong feeling that you believe that eating too much "fat" will make you fat and that eating too much protein will make you muscular. Wrong.

I recommend that you bump down protein to about 1gram per pound of lean body mass (around 160g-170g range) and increase your fat intake with whatever calories you have left over. Leaving fat that low will not be enough to keep you healthy and sane for a long time. Throw in some fish oils, olive oil, natural peanut/almond butters/nuts as healthy fats. They are essential to your diet and well being.

^ This is good advice. I'd get your fats to AT LEAST .35g/lb bodyweight, MINIMUM.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Daily Goals:

Very well said. Fat isn't the only thing that makes you fat. And, in fact, you NEED fat. So bump it up a bit...
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bodyweight or lean body mass though?

I'm trying the standard 40:30:30 - do I really need to get super technical and work things out mathematically?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    depends on how your blood sugar reacts to it. In some people it can cause a nasty spike. I prefer egg white protein (like Jay Robb) or Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Warrior Blend .
  • malins2
    Options
    bodyweight or lean body mass though?

I'm trying the standard 40:30:30 - do I really need to get super technical and work things out mathematically?

For me eating 0.8g protein/lbs body weight would be the same as eating 1g/lbs lean body mass. So I don't think it's that important to hit an exact number.

And regarding 40:30:30 I know a lot of people up the protein and lower the carbs, me included.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Daily Goals:

I was having trouble adjusting my macros so I just set my protien goal to around 200 grams and then the other percentages changed. I never am below that 10g fat. That is just me being not smart enough to change the other percentages. I think this is all good advice.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Also if im trying to gain do I want to stay under my maintenance calories or do I want to be slightly above them?
  • malins2
    Options
    Also if im trying to gain do I want to stay under my maintenance calories or do I want to be slightly above them?
    Above
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try to stay above your maintence for a slow and steady 0.5lb/week gain. That would be about around 1800 calories extra per week. Anything more than that and you will be putting on muscle and fat. Muscle gain is pretty inefficiency and you will always gain a little bit of fat in the process. The key is to keep it steady and that 0.5lb/week seems to be the sweet spot for a grown male.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i say listen to your body.

if you start belching sulphur odours, feeling bloated, getting constipated or loose, etc. then your body is telling you it's too much.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have had 1 or 2 shakes a day for 7+ months. It has helped me lose 100+ and my lipids are all now normal. It also helps me not eat carbs so my glucose is normal now too.

My Doctor is the one who recommended them to me and since he has to deal with my whining I doubt he would tell me to do something that was going to make me whine more.