Which program works best???

Options
ok, so i have about 40 more lbs to lose... i currently take a boot camp class at my gym and do HIIT on the treadmill or bike for cardio. I'm trying to save money for school so i know the boot camp classes are getting pretty expensive to maintain (every few weeks, not included in gym membership i have) so...........

i'm planning to restart the couch to 5k program this week (free) and i'm hoping u guys can help guide me in the right direction of a workout dvd u have gotten great results from. i have 5, 20 (ha) and 30 (haha) lb weights at my disposal so i'm sure i can try to put them to good use.

I see threads for chalean, p90, slim in 6, etc but with all these swirling around - which ones actually work!! :huh: i'm confused as to which one to buy :embarassed: i'm not advanced at working out but i'm around intermediate at least (weight training included). i'm really prefer something with not so much "jumping" lol....and more "working those muscles"......just dont want to waste money on one that doesnt really work and is all hype. :frown:

thanks for any advice/tips/suggestions:flowerforyou:

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If money is tight, you don't have to buy any DVDs. Run, bike, and do calisthenics. You don't even need weights.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    ok, so i have about 40 more lbs to lose... i currently take a boot camp class at my gym and do HIIT on the treadmill or bike for cardio. I'm trying to save money for school so i know the boot camp classes are getting pretty expensive to maintain (every few weeks, not included in gym membership i have) so...........

i'm planning to restart the couch to 5k program this week (free) and i'm hoping u guys can help guide me in the right direction of a workout dvd u have gotten great results from. i have 5, 20 (ha) and 30 (haha) lb weights at my disposal so i'm sure i can try to put them to good use.

I see threads for chalean, p90, slim in 6, etc but with all these swirling around - which ones actually work!! :huh: i'm confused as to which one to buy :embarassed: i'm not advanced at working out but i'm around intermediate at least (weight training included). i'm really prefer something with not so much "jumping" lol....and more "working those muscles"......just dont want to waste money on one that doesnt really work and is all hype. :frown:

thanks for any advice/tips/suggestions:flowerforyou:
    I am currently doing the slim in 6 program and love it ......wish you luck in your weight loss journey
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    with money tight you can check out a wide variety at your local library and see what works best for you and it doesn't cost a dime. I know if my local library doesn't have a specific dvd I'm looking for they can check other libraries in the area and borrow it from them for me at no charge it's really nice. I've been able to get all of jillian micheals in home walking videos so if I get bored with one I just return it and check out a new one. Good Luck.
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    Hey ClassiC, I've tried several of the Beachbody workouts (currently doing Slim In 6, but I've done Power 90, Yoga Booty Ballet, Turbo Jam and P90X). Of all those, I think Power 90 is the one I'd suggest for someone who doesn't necessarily want an extreme program but wants a good balance of strength training/cardio.

Jill
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I really loved Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred video. It's only 20-25 min. per day, and would be easy to do in addition to your couch to 5K workouts. It's a combo of cardo, strength training and abs. The video is about $12 on Amazon right now, but I've seen it lower. You might be able to get it on eBay pretty cheap too. If money is super tight, you can play the workouts off YouTube for free. I got awesome results from this. I actually only did the first 2 weeks (ran into a medical issue at that point), and lost at least 2 inches off my waist alone! I will recommend this workout over and over to whoever will listen. I hope this helps, and definitely know that you don't have to spend major $$ (as I know some of those Beachbody workouts can be) to get great results.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    there are also exercise channells on cable t.V. We have Fit tv with different workouts every day. Maybe that would be something to look into

Memaw
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I second the 30 day shred. I did lose inches my first go round. I'm starting it again tonight with a group on here.

I am going to incorporate some more cardio this time around and hopefully lose more lbs too. I have thought about the couch to 5K, but doubt I'd actually get out of the house and do it. That seems to be my hudle for that one. So, I'm going to either get one of Jillian's other dvd's or a Leslie Sansone walking dvd. Not quite sure yet.
  • charriso
    Options
    I am doing the Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser Personal Trainer) workout and love it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Before you spend your money, check out the free bootcamp videos at sparkpeople.com. Also, exercisetv.tv also has tons of free videos.
  • richardson2b
    Options
    im doing 10 min trainer... well actually, my fiance bought the DVDs and im only doing the diet that comes with it. Its the 10 day diet that guarentees you drop a jean size. I'm on day 8, down 6 lbs. My fiance weighs more than me and is down 10lbs easy.

If you follow the diet EXACTLY you WILL lose weight. I haven't started to exercise yet. I'm done the diet Wednesday. They suggest not to do the diet all the time. So I'm going to do it 1x/month until I reach my goal.

The diet is delicous. The protein shakes in the morning are a little bland, but not too bad. I am never hungry and some times can't eat everything i make. It works. Plain and simple.
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do the slim in 6 DVD on and off in between walking and the bike. i love it! it works out your whole entire body, it has cardio and resistance training to help build lean muscle. It's good for an intermediate exerciser. The only thing that bothers me is some of the counts are off on a few exercises and the music is kinda boring. I usually have my own music playing loud to keep me going. It's great for losing inches!
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    thanks for ll of your suggestions!!! i really appreciate it:love:

our libraries here dont offer vids, etc but i'm sure i can get something else going! :flowerforyou:

hope all of u are successful on your journey too!!