Breakfast Ideas, Please?

Options
The first meal of the day is always the hardest for me. What do you do in the morning to stay on track and not blow all of your carbs?

Danielle

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Blimey I probably blow my carbs every day and just use MFP for the calorie numbers and don't pay attention to macros. Too much hard work and it's not as if I'm filling up on cake anyway!
    My breakfast tend to be fairly carb or protein rich...
    Here's some recent examples from my diary.....

Porridge made with milk and peanut butter = 309 cals
    Puffed oats (Rude Health Co) with milk, a banana and a slice of wholemeal toast with butter = 353 cals
    2 x poached eggs on wholemeal bread with butter = 446 cals
    Black pudding (2 slices), fried mushrooms, 2 poached eggs, 2 slices of wholemeal with butter and a dollop of ketchup = 772 cals (Okay that was a weekend brunch ; )

It's mostly porridge with peanut butter or/and a banana or toast and eggs, so I'm a bit of a 'two-trick' pony! I sometimes like omelettes and if eating out for breakfast this is something I will quite happily have. Also I'm not adverse to the odd bacon sandwich which can come in under 400 cals.

I always avoid sugar white bread and sugar added cereals as these always leave me starved before lunch!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I usually have a vegetable egg white omelet
    I sautee a lot of red onions, red/green peppers, then toss in a lot of baby spinach (and I don't even like spinach, but it tastes good!), some parsley (doing dried now, its faster/easier). I'm vegetarian so I then add a cut up Morningstar maple flavored veggie sausage or Morningstar bacon. Sometines red tomatoes tossed in at the end. Pour in 2 servings of liquid egg whites. Add black pepper. Lower the heat a little, cover the pan with a glass lid to make it like a fritatta (open face omelet). When its almost 'done', I toss in a 1/2 serving of feta or goat cheese.
    Delish.
    I also have one half of a 'smart bagel' (very thin, multi grain bagels) with a little bit of margarine.
    Fills me up and is low in calories and filled with nutrients & protein.

Just to add: In an effort to keep prep time down, I have bought the pre-chopped red onions, peppers and tomatoes. Of course this costs more. (And obviously you don't have to add as many different veggies either, that will help keep time down.) That Morningstar product does add some sodium, so if that is a concern, it can be taken away. But the extra cals & protein helps me with the workouts I do right after breakfast.
  • gmramsey4
    gmramsey4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, will try that - sounds great! THANKS!
    :)
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is what my sister and I call the "best breakfast sandwich" (well, it is to us).
    1/4 c egg whites cooked/scrambled (your preference - I like to just cook like an omelet and fold up on the sandwich)
    Thomas' 100 calorie english muffin (there are two different kinds)
    wedge of light laughing cow cheese (your preference of flavor - this standard sandwich calls for light swiss but I've used others)

Done! It's just enough protein and carbs to get me through. If I know I'll be having a intense cardio workout that day, I might add a morningstar "sausage" patty to it. So yummy.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy! I'm going to have to try some of these.

I normally have a piece of fruit, like a banana. Right now I'm working on a box of honey nut cheerios. lol

Sometimes I'll make a protein shake or a smoothie.
  • jkhirst
    jkhirst Posts: 4
    Options
    I like to keep my breakfast to around 300 calories max, so here's a couple ideas:

Breakfast hash - baked potato fried with a minimal amt of margarine and mixed with spices, egg whites and your choice of veggies
    Zucchini frittatta - recipe is on Prevention website, only 140 calories per serving and you can change up the veggies in it, I like to add mushrooms
    Hard boiled egg with turkey bacon (turkey bacon is only 50 for 2 long strips, and doesn't shrivel as much as pork bacon, so you get more to eat)

I try to eat my main breakfast around 9-10 and then have a piece of fruit around 11 to stave off early lunch cravings.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The first meal of the day is always the hardest for me. What do you do in the morning to stay on track and not blow all of your carbs?

Danielle

2 Scrambled eggs

+

2 pieces of bacon.

Done deal.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    berries, greek yogurt and nuts or seeds, love it!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I drink scotch.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just tried refrigerator oatmeal this morning and it was possibly the best thing I have put in my mouth in a long time.

I made it the night before with: .25 cup greek yogurt/.25 cup milk/.25 cup old fashioned rolled oats/1tsp honey/.25 cup raspberries cut in half/.5 cup diced ripe peaches. all mixed together and stuck in the fridge, et voila.

i thought i'd gone to heaven. it was around 240 calories and i also had a couple hard boiled egg whites for extra protein.

all the recipes around the internet suggest also putting a couple teaspoons of chia seed in it as well (it absorbs liquid and has a ton of fiber and omega-3, supposedly it makes you feel fuller and contains complete amino acids to boot) but I didn't have any. going to pick some up tonight!

...obviously if you're going low carb you probably won't want to try it, but.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I drink scotch.

Scotch scotch scotch, I love scotch...
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    Porridge or beans on toast.
  • marcharing
    marcharing Posts: 14
    Options
    You could skip breakfast. And lunch for that matter. www.leangains.com
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    if you are even moderately working out, then eggs. Eggs will provide the protein you need to replenish after a workout. Eggs, banana, and/or choc milk for recovery.

if you are not working out, probably just fruit.

that's a hard one because I need recovery fuel after my morning run or cycling so that is what I would do.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Somebody said overnight oats. Definitely google that and check it out.

I usually always have eggs in the morning. Two over easy with some toast to slop up the yolk.

Somebody also said scrambled eggs and turkey bacon. Winning combo right there!