Hikers! - 2000 Calorie challenge!

Options
Ok so I am going a big hike this weekend (7/1). Hoping to eclipse 2000 calories burned! I dare you to do the same!

I am hiking North Dome in Yosemite Valley. Not as hardcore as Yosemite falls or Half-Dome, but still a 9 mile round trip, and 800ft elevation change (this starts at 8k feet anyways), with a chance of:

A) Plummeting to my death (or learning how to fly very quickly)

B) Getting eaten by a bear (or becoming the Bear Whisperer)

or

C) Having a great time

I am taking all my camera gear too, so will post some pro pics. Post pics of your hikes!

Here are OTHER peoples pics from North Dome (this is one of the best spots to see everything in Yosemite)

Indian Arch:

yose46784.jpeg

View of Half Dome form North Dome:

nd07-half-dome.jpg

North Dome cliff 2700 foot sheer cliff:

0.jpg

Replies

• geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm sure that you will have a great time! And it would be awesome if you become the bear whisperer. I am not a big fan of hiking.....unless it's indoors:smile: but I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! I have always wanted to hike half dome but I'm so afraid of heights. I get sweaty palms even thinking about it.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh my word its beautiful there!!
    Wish I could hike there. Have fun Mike! And take lots of photos!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! I have always wanted to hike half dome but I'm so afraid of heights. I get sweaty palms even thinking about it.

Ya, im not a big fan of heights. My CEO is trying to get us permits to hike half dome later this year. Hope that works out.

Ill be doing Clouds Rest in a month or so. That one is a 1900ft elevation change, with a mile long ridgeline walk. The ridge is 10ft wide and has 1200ft cliffs on either side lol.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Looks beautiful! Sounds like you will have a great hike. :) My hubby and I hike the mountains around Las Vegas nearly every single weekend and average about 1400 calories for a 6.5 mile hike. We hiked in Zion NP during vacation in May and had a blast. Our big hike that trip was Angel's Landing, 1400ft off the canyon floor at the peak. You hike over a sheer saddle and up to the peak using chains bolted into the slickrock. I'm afraid of heights, so it was quite an accomplishment for me. :bigsmile: Can't wait to head back up to Zion for a camping/hiking weekend... maybe in a couple of weeks.

Later this year, we want to hike down into the Grand Canyon and back. That will be quite an accomplishment!!

Have fun this weekend :)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Awe, man! I wish I could go too!!!